Up 3 times a night to pee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi and welcome.

What are your levels like overnight?
Have you been diagnosed long?
Do you have Freestyle Libre or other CGM to show what your levels are doing whilst you sleep? If they are consistently above 10 then that might be causing the issue or as mentioned, it might be something unrelated like a prostate issue in which case you need to consult your GP and get checked out.

The medical term is Nocturia and there are multiple causes including, as already mentioned, diabetes and prostrate issues. If you Google 'nocturia nhs' there's lots to read.

I rarely get to sleep through, usually making two trips to the bathroom. Annoyingly, the second one is most often between 5am and 6am (it was 05:24 this morning) and then I struggle to go back to sleep.

My OH had enlarged prostate and he was getting up anything up to 7 times a night at worst until he had surgery. Definitely worth getting checked out, there are several medications that can help.
The other cause can be a UTI.

As a woman going though menopause as well as diabetes I was getting up multiple times a night. Getting my diabetes under better management knocked it down to once a night almost every night and sometimes twice. I was also suffering other quite bad menopausal symptoms which were impacting my life quite significantly. I asked to try HRT and 2 days after applying the first patch, I slept right through and have done so ever since even when I have a large drink before bed. The change has been nothing short of miraculous and that that tiny little clear patch of plastic which I apply once or twice a week can revolutionize my life to such an extent without side effects is just mind blowing.

I believe you are not female and therefore may wonder why I mention this but I was recently reading an article about male testosterone levels suddenly dropping in mid life and causing similar issues to those experienced by women sometimes referred to as male menopause although I believe some find that label unhelpful. It is possible to have testosterone levels checked and potentially have HRT in a similar way to women... ie hormone patches gel or injections. Having read this article and giving it some thought I have been wondering if it is this drop in testosterone which also causes changes in the prostate gland and perhaps similar issues that I was having with my bladder, basically losing it's elasticity and therefore not being able to hold overnight. I can't stress enough how Hormone Replacement Therapy has made such a massive difference to my quality of sleep and in lots of other ways too, so definitely worth some further investigation. I suffered for 5 years with a range of very challenging symptoms and the vast majority stopped overnight after I applied my first HRT patch. The needing to wee through the night was actually not something that bothered me so much compared to the severe overheating and I assumed just old age but the fact that it changed overnight was just mind blowing and has remained like that for 3 years now. It is bliss to sleep right through and not even be desperate when I wake up.

I rarely get to sleep through, usually making two trips to the bathroom. Annoyingly, the second one is most often between 5am and 6am (it was 05:24 this morning) and then I struggle to go back to sleep.
Me too!

We should get t-shirts.

Me too!

We should get t-shirts.
Or start a 5:30 group call!!!
It definitely seems to be the common time for so many. So evident when away on a residential course with people of similar ages!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back