Unsure

Status
Not open for further replies.

YachtieTrev

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosed yesterday as type2. Leaving U.K. today for several weeks. Access to restaurants and supermarkets but uncertain how to eat. i do not drink alcohol but will give up my love of sweets. That I know. Will try low carb diet as previously used second nature but now lapsed. Need a camping / picnic type menu until home. I sail yachts off shore often. I am 73 in October. I have heart disease , cholesterol, and blood pressure meds.
I will lose weight but just cutting processed and sweet foods I hope . Appreciate informed advice. Bit shocked really as no symptoms I know off ….blood test result of 48.

Welcome to the forum @YachtieTrev

I’ve replied to your other thread, but you have answered a lot of my questions here!

At 48mmol/mol your HbA1c (an indication of blood glucose over the past 3-4 months) has only just sneaked over the line into diabetes territory.

So your plan to cut out sweets will have a hugely positive impact. Sweet treats can be very carb-heavy - so it’s pretty easy to nibble your way through several meals-worth of carbohydrates for something which doesn’t sustain or satisfy you and can actually cause BG fluctuations that make you more hungry!

Good that you have experience of a low carb menu that has worked for you in the past. Hopefully your frequency of trips to the supermarket will be enough to be able to have sufficient fresh produce on board to be able to make relatively low-carb meals available (lots of dried foods are pretty carb-heavy).

Do you know how your body responds to pulses? Could something like dahl work for you (some people get a very gentle BG response to things like lentils, while others get a much more extreme reaction).

Do you have a BG meter and strips to check how you are responding to meals?

Diagnosed yesterday as type2. Leaving U.K. today for several weeks. Access to restaurants and supermarkets but uncertain how to eat. i do not drink alcohol but will give up my love of sweets. That I know. Will try low carb diet as previously used second nature but now lapsed. Need a camping / picnic type menu until home. I sail yachts off shore often. I am 73 in October. I have heart disease , cholesterol, and blood pressure meds.
I will lose weight but just cutting processed and sweet foods I hope . Appreciate informed advice. Bit shocked really as no symptoms I know off ….blood test result of 48.

Almost 10 years ago, I was diagnosed 3 weeks before going on a 9 month sailing trip, so I get how you likely have been feeling.

The great news is, with your blood test result, you are only just into the diabetes range, so hopefully you are in decent shape.

I got myself a blood testing kit to help me understand things whilst away and cut back on my carbs. I would think if you cut well back on the sweet things and mind the carbs you'll be in a decent place.

How long is your trip and where are you headed?

@YachtieTrev if you start to eat low carb you might find that you no longer need the medication for high blood pressure.
I am on a low carb list and over the years several people have had falls, one of them life changing, due to continuing to take medication even though they no longer needed it. There were danger signs such as dizziness on going upstairs or when standing up, but I suspect that no one believed that they could get such a result from a change in diet.

Hi
I am in Lagos Pt. I leave Tuesday en route to Croatia. I crossed the Atlantic, arriving 4 weeks ago. Where are you based?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back