university

Status
Not open for further replies.

glitteryredshoes

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi just wanted to ask if anyone was at uni at the moment with Diabetes. Im 19 and was diagnosed two months ago while on my gap year. Im hoping to apply to uni this year for 2011, does anyone have any advice? thanks 🙂

We do have at least one but he's not online at the moment.

Hey hun, im going into my 3rd year of uni when i go back next year after maternity leave... I do nursing so the clinical placements are pretty tough going if your type 1! It doesnt limit opportunities in regard to higher education so you shouldnt worry, I advise to always disclose that you are a diabetic though as it is safer for you and if anything were to go haywire regarding your diabetes and you end up needing a sick day then it will cover you that they already know 🙂
I have had a few incidents where ive had to run out mid lecture/shift to find the nearest vending machine lol then it might be my fault in that I dont carry glucose tablet all the time 🙄

Glad to know your doing well at uni. I want to do a Fine Art course so hopefully this may prove easier to work around as it only racks up to a few hours a week. Can I just say Lu your daughter is the cutest thing I think ive ever seen 🙂

I studied fine Art & Textile Design many moons ago and apart from spending a good deal of time on your feet in front of an easel or leaning over a drawing table/loom it was no problem. Mind you, I wasn't diabetic then, but I don't think it would cause you too many problems. We did work quite long hours at times so you need to be sure you take regular breaks and don't get so focussed on what you're doing you forget to eat, test and shoot up.

Hope you enjoy your Fine Arts course, but I'd caution against chosing any course on the basis of low numbers of contact hours per week. I did my BSc Marine Biology before diagnosis, which involved 2 or 3 hours of lectures 5 days per week, plus lab session of 3 hours, 4 afternoons per week, plus field trips on ship and shore. After diagnosis, I did an MSc, which involved 2 terms of at least 3 hours per morning of lectures, plus statistics, computing practical sessions 4 afternoons per week etc. I only told my MSc tutors about diabetes because we had 3 hour exams, and I did want the option to eat if necessary, which it wasn't, by the way. I lived with a friend for first month, then lodged in hostel, where I checked I could leave insulin in a shared fridge. Last 5 months of course involved living in Northern Ireland for 5 months where, again, access to a fridge was the only thing I needed.

I hope you will be encouraged to know that life with diabetes & insulin gets easier, after honeymoon phase, when things settle down. What are you doing for the rest of your gap year?

I did a year at uni, 2007-2008 (then dropped out...oops). I'm also hoping to go back to uni in 2011 to study child nursing.

The obvious thing about uni is the drinking culture. Everyone is different, so it's good for you to learn how to handle your drink in terms of diabetes - for example, a lot of people will go low after alcohol due to the liver being too busy with the alcohol to chuck out it's usual supply of glucose. Some people find they can drink sugary alcopops and still maintain decent BG levels, where as others (like me!) just can't keep up with the sugar.

TomH is currently at uni, if you've added me on facebook he's one of my friends, so add him on there and fire as many questions as you like at him!

Is there anything specific you wanted to know?

Good luck with uni and everything, just wanted to say hi, and although I don't have a thing for Mr Morgan, it is probably the best show that has been on for some time, although we no longer have sky so cannot watch grrr!

Currently in my second year.

Just make sure the staff and your friends are aware. Also carry that all important hypo treatment with u.

Thinks will go up and down every now and again. As long as your on top of it, you should have an amazing time!

Good luck and hope it goes well.

Timely advice! Thank you. I hope all those starting Uni soon have a wonderful time and manage to keep their levels under control despite the distractions 🙂

Hey,

I'm a bit of a failed/part time student now owing to absolutely shafting my first year. I'm happy to PM you my MSN details or stuff like that if you want to ask me things.
Ok, make sure all friends and flatmates know that you're diabetic and tell them to call an ambulance if you spazz out.
Make sure you're within easy reach of insulin and hypo treatments.
Chips or a kebab on the way home after a night out as a fresher is always a good idea.
There will be someone who can drink more than you, don't over do it too much.

Hope there's something useful in all that lot.

Tom

Glad to know your doing well at uni. I want to do a Fine Art course so hopefully this may prove easier to work around as it only racks up to a few hours a week. Can I just say Lu your daughter is the cutest thing I think ive ever seen 🙂

She is a little cutie but she can break the windows with the new high pitched shriek that she has learned now!!🙄

Hopefully it works out well for u at uni hun, I guess there is no reason why it shouldnt! :D

Oh and as for ur signature.... U are refering to Dexter.... Michael c hall?? hehe I love dexter (the show) cant wait for the final series!! but about having a thing for him, i shall just say each to their own lol 😉 x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back