University fridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

LivioH

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi,
My daughter goes to uni next month and they’ve said to bring a mini fridge for her room in halls. It’s a tiny room so will have to go on the desk. Can anyone advise on a make/brand of fridge that they have used and is suitable. I’ve spent out looking and mini fridges don’t regulate temperature for insulin and countertop fridge are huge.

Leaving the insulin in the shared fridge is risky. No idea what to do and still very new to diabetes full stop (lees than 2 years since T1D diagnosis)

Thank you

Hi,
My daughter goes to uni next month and they’ve said to bring a mini fridge for her room in halls. It’s a tiny room so will have to go on the desk. Can anyone advise on a make/brand of fridge that they have used and is suitable. I’ve spent out looking and mini fridges don’t regulate temperature for insulin and countertop fridge are huge.

Leaving the insulin in the shared fridge is risky. No idea what to do and still very new to diabetes full stop (lees than 2 years since T1D diagnosis)

Thank you
Would this one fit the bill from Amazon.
Subcold Classic4 Mini Fridge - Cooler & Warmer | 4 Litre/6 Cans | AC+USB | Portable Small Fridge for Skincare, Bedroom, Dorm, Car, Travel (White/Pink)
Visit the Subcold Store

Hi,

Thank you
I'd suggest getting one of the smaller ones, and also a fridge thermometer if you want extra reassurance about it maintaining temperature - you can find them with alarms if set temp range exceeded. Agree don't put insulin in main fridge! Who did you talk to you at her Uni? Was it the accommodation people or the disability centre - the later may have more advice, but they are unlikely to recommend specific items.

Hi I have been looking into this for traveling to family via ferry and you can get a Russel Hobbs version on Amazon that be powered by mains or by from the car cigarette lighter. Was on sale for £40 roughly early in the week and arrived yesterday it’s big enough for four 500 ml cans and a bit more.

May I ask who said to bring a fridge? I bought one for my niece and she was not allowed it in halls at all. She wasn't diabetic so it wasn't an issue...but unless you have been told by the university you might run into problems. I am sure when you explain about the insulin it will be fine but might need sorting out before she actually arrives.

Many of the small fridges are not going to maintain an even temperature as they are just intended for tasks such as cooling drinks, which do not spoil if they are allowed to meander a bit in their temperature.
I'm afraid that you might be looking at a fairly expensive counter top fridge to be safe.

Would this one fit the bill from Amazon.
Subcold Classic4 Mini Fridge - Cooler & Warmer | 4 Litre/6 Cans | AC+USB | Portable Small Fridge for Skincare, Bedroom, Dorm, Car, Travel (White/Pink)
Visit the Subcold Store
Thank you

May I ask who said to bring a fridge? I bought one for my niece and she was not allowed it in halls at all. She wasn't diabetic so it wasn't an issue...but unless you have been told by the university you might run into problems. I am sure when you explain about the insulin it will be fine but might need sorting out before she actually arrives.
The university accommodation office have said to bring one.

I'd suggest getting one of the smaller ones, and also a fridge thermometer if you want extra reassurance about it maintaining temperature - you can find them with alarms if set temp range exceeded. Agree don't put insulin in main fridge! Who did you talk to you at her Uni? Was it the accommodation people or the disability centre - the later may have more advice, but they are unlikely to recommend specific items.
Thank you

Hi I have been looking into this for traveling to family via ferry and you can get a Russel Hobbs version on Amazon that be powered by mains or by from the car cigarette lighter. Was on sale for £40 roughly early in the week and arrived yesterday it’s big enough for four 500 ml cans and a bit more.
Thank you

Many of the small fridges are not going to maintain an even temperature as they are just intended for tasks such as cooling drinks, which do not spoil if they are allowed to meander a bit in their temperature.
I'm afraid that you might be looking at a fairly expensive counter top fridge to be safe.
These are my thoughts too. I’ve found a slightly smaller countertop fridge which we’re going to ask her diabetic nurse for advice on.

I have one that fits cans in and it used to ice over all the time.
I did do recall some reviews saying it wasn't suitable for medication

you would probs need to look for something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Russell-Hobbs-RHTTLF1-Energy-Rating/dp/B00FLT6B2G
(just a random one I found, you will have to research this type more and make sure its totally suitable)
100% look for one with a proper thermostat.

The "can fridges" are just cool boxes without proper temp regulation and the link I posted ones work more like a traditional full size fridge (and hold their temps).
I wouldn't personally feel confidant keeping my insulins in my mini "can" fridge. 🙂

This is my thoughts entirely. The hardest thing is that the room is absolutely tiny so it’s going to have to go on the desk. And take up 1/2 if it. Hopefully it’s quiet too

I’ve been looking more and found this today which looks better with a temperature gage. And I’d buy a fridge thermometer too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back