'Universal HPV vaccination' call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Schoolboys in the UK should receive the HPV vaccine to protect against throat cancer, a charity has urged.

The jab was introduced in 2008 for girls, to immunise them against the virus that causes cervical cancer.

The Throat Cancer Foundation says the vaccine protects against other cancers and has urged the government to extend the programme to all 12-year-olds.

So far Australia is the only country to routinely offer universal vaccination to boys and girls.

The measure has also been recommended by the US Centers for Disease Control.

HPV, which stands for human papillomavirus, is a very common, mainly sexually transmitted, infection.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21282382

They did a thing about this on Embarrassing Bodies with some 'slightly older' teenagers.

Of course the girlies think they are OK since they've had the jab and they don't do full on intercourse anyway or always use condoms, and of course the boys all said they either did or would always use condoms and all were very confident and secure in that knowledge.

Until the TV docs explained that BJs had just as much cancer risk as intercourse - and then they weren't so happy.

Crikey - I wasn't either!

I'm no teenager, but yes I most certainly have BTDTGTTS ....... however discriminate I may have been in my choices of partner or not - it's still a flippin risk ...... 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back