Unicorns exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I do not follow a low carb diet - I tried it but decided it was not for me as I needed different protein to carb ratios for different types of protein and I had to cook different meals for my partner and I.

Yesterday was a typical day - fruit for breakfast, tight deadline in the morning, sandwich and home made parsnip soup for lunch, reacting to a change of work plans in the afternoon, mince pie with my cuppa and then beetroot and covolo nero for tea. So not stress free and not low carb.

"So what?" I hear you ask.
So, Libre told me I was in target all day (and night) with an average level of 6.4.

Sure, this doesn't happen every day but I wanted to highlight that it is possible for someone with Type 1 and is possible with a "normal" (for a veggie) diet including Christmas fayre on a day with a certain amount of stress.

I found a unicorn yesterday and will continue to search for them.

I had a unicorn a couple of weeks ago (I think you’ve come up with a new diabetic term @helli :D ).
First one in a long time. My quest also continues...😉

I have been eating more "normally" recently due to meals out and "doggy bag" left overs from the Chinese banquet and I have been experiencing the Himalayas on an evening and can't wait to get back to my low carb diet and the maybe once or if I am really good, twice a week "unicorn".
Out of a box of 12 mince pies over a period of 3 months I managed to keep the last one under 10 (JUST), so I am particularly impressed by your unicorn, especially during a busy/stressful working day.

I came for the unicorns and am leaving wanting mince pies :confused:

great on the in range all day though!

I feel for you @rebrascora - liking mince pies so much! 😳🙂
12 is enough for one year. I will however recommence the experiment again next year with renewed enthusiasm!
On the other hand, sweet and sour king prawn with noodles may be consigned to history.... Hit 17 last night despite starting eating on 4.3 with lots of Fiasp preceding it and that was my third attempt..... there were lots of leftovers! It was yum but my heart was pounding so hard last night with that high BG that I thought it might escape. Did not feel well at all and worst of all I craved for more (it was the last) or anything else carb rich, even though I had eaten plenty.

That was presumably a takeaway sweet and sour king prawn recipe. If you were to see how many calories such dishes contain, you would probably faint. Presumably there were pineapple chunks in it. There would also be sugar in that pink sauce they often contain. Only reaching 17 even after Fiasp is a miracle:D

I make my own sweet and sour Chinese style. No pineapple, I use Lychees and add up the carbs as I add ingredients, and wouldn’t reach 17 without any pre bolus.

That’s not to say I don’t like the takeaway version, I do. But it’s a bugger to pre bolus for, I honestly can’t be bothered.

That was presumably a takeaway sweet and sour king prawn recipe. If you were to see how many calories such dishes contain, you would probably faint. Presumably there were pineapple chunks in it. There would also be sugar in that pink sauce they often contain. Only reaching 17 even after Fiasp is a miracle:D

I make my own sweet and sour Chinese style. No pineapple, I use Lychees and add up the carbs as I add ingredients, and wouldn’t reach 17 without any pre bolus.

That’s not to say I don’t like the takeaway version, I do. But it’s a bugger to pre bolus for, I honestly can’t be bothered.

It was a "doggy bag" left over from a very good Chinese restaurant but yes, it was sweet and I fully expected it to spike me but it wasn't a large portion and I just had a few noodles with it and I thought I had been generous with the Fiasp but clearly not enough and the Fiasp was clearly not up to matching the speed of digestion of the sugar and other carbs.

I was, as I said, just using up leftovers from our banquet, but not worth making me feel ill, much as I hate waste. It is something I would have eaten pre diagnosis but I think now needs to be consigned to history. There are plenty of other things I enjoy which are low carb and I can manage to bolus well.

Impressive helli. Another who tried low carb, found it made bg harder & required double amount of bolus injections, also it preoccupied thoughts to much for my liking, give it 3 or 4 months then give up.

It all comes down to experience doesnt it, get it wrong first time repeat until you get it right, like everything in life & food is no different. Enjoy healthy home cooked food but also enjoy takeaways & restaurant meals, even greasy spoon cafes when out & about.

The thought of a unicorn with a broken horn makes me ridiculously sad for some stupid reason! 99% is a great result though, so just can't comfortably equate the two!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back