Unforgettable Moments: Dealing with diabetes since age 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Holly Howell of Lincolnton began her battle with insulin-dependent diabetes when she was just 6 years old. She was in kindergarten and this was years before insulin pumps and today's methods of dealing with diabetes were made available. She tells me that her parents would wake early each morning and boil syringes to give her the insulin shots that were a necessity.

Living in the South, healthy eating was not the norm in their household. Good old Southern fried cooking was a habit. She said her mother had to learn an entirely new way of cooking for Holly’s diabetic diet. As a young child, it also presented a problem if she was invited to a sleepover with friends because she always had to be prepared with her insulin shots and only certain food choices.

Wanting the best for their daughter, Holly says her parents prepared her well by making her aware of what her disease was, what was involved in dealing with it, and what it could mean to her in the future. When she was 9 and 11, her parents sent her to a diabetic camp. This gave her a better understanding of how diabetes was affecting her body and she saw others her age dealing with it. Going to this camp and being further educated about diabetes gave her more confidence, she said.

http://www.statesville.com/communit...cle_349806ac-abbc-11e4-8936-277e881913c9.html

All I can say is 😱 at the amount of complications. Obviously her diabetes education was very substandard or she didn't look after herself that well.

Sue I always exclude myself from such things since OK I haven't found it a 'battle' but then I was adult so maybe it's different?

But you were even younger - have you had a battle?

I mean I've never even had a proper argument with old D - what's the point quarrelling with him, when you know D will win! - better to just say whatever and just make sure I keep on the right side of him, I think.

I have said Stuff you! on numerous occasions - but never to his face, Sue ......

Sue I always exclude myself from such things since OK I haven't found it a 'battle' but then I was adult so maybe it's different?

But you were even younger - have you had a battle?

I mean I've never even had a proper argument with old D - what's the point quarrelling with him, when you know D will win! - better to just say whatever and just make sure I keep on the right side of him, I think.

I have said Stuff you! on numerous occasions - but never to his face, Sue ......

I have diabetes it lives me 🙂 Only battle I've ever had is with a few HCP who decided what was best for me without asking me. Roof tends to get hit then.

I had a normal childhood, did all the things other kids did, including double detention for trying to get out of the original because I was diabetic :D
Like most, I do get frustrated when numbers don't play ball, but learnt a very long time ago that tomorrow is another day so just move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back