Uncontrolled

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamielc

Hi looking for advice. I have uncontrolled diabetes, (started as gestational 9 years ago, was then told type 1.5 lada and then type 2 by different doctors). My average blood levels are 25mmol, when I take my insulin and I reach 10mmol I feel like I am in a hypo, I must admit I don't take it as and when I should and this is what I am working on, just wondering how to bypass the hypo feeling when I'm at 10mmol or under really struggling and the reason I dont take it as I should Thanks

Sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing @jamielc

25mmol/L cant be doing you any favours :( Though it spunds,like your body has adapted and acclimatised to the higher levels.

There’s a sort of ‘glucose thermostat’ which controls when your low glucose warning signs are triggered, and if you have had high levels for a while, it can get a bit confused.

It will reset over a few weeks if you keep taking your meds as prescribed. The symptoms you are experiencing will feel unpleasant (they are meant to!) but of you are still in the 10s these ‘false hypos’ shouldn’t be dangerous.

Please do try to take your insulin as prescribed. Perhaps speak to your nurse and see if your dose can be adjusted, perhaps that kight mean your levels reduce more slowly, which may help to reduce the false warnings you are getting?

Bless you, I have some experience similar to yours. Can I ask what prompted the change of diagnosis and what tests you have had to determine your type ?

Sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing @jamielc

25mmol/L cant be doing you any favours :( Though it spunds,like your body has adapted and acclimatised to the higher levels.

There’s a sort of ‘glucose thermostat’ which controls when your low glucose warning signs are triggered, and if you have had high levels for a while, it can get a bit confused.

It will reset over a few weeks if you keep taking your meds as prescribed. The symptoms you are experiencing will feel unpleasant (they are meant to!) but of you are still in the 10s these ‘false hypos’ shouldn’t be dangerous.

Please do try to take your insulin as prescribed. Perhaps speak to your nurse and see if your dose can be adjusted, perhaps that kight mean your levels reduce more slowly, which may help to reduce the false warnings you are getting?
Thanks so much for your reply, I'm fighting through them, I've woke up and not feeling the best so checked bloods yet I'm at 14.4mmol this is still lower than my usual 25 so I guess it's going in the right direction and will take time to asjust, just got to go with this feeling. Thanks again

Bless you, I have some experience similar to yours. Can I ask what prompted the change of diagnosis and what tests you have had to determine your type ?
I've actually not had any tests done since my glucose test when I was pregnant, to be honest I haven't seen much of the diabetic team over the years, put on insulin and left to it

I've actually not had any tests done since my glucose test when I was pregnant, to be honest I haven't seen much of the diabetic team over the years, put on insulin and left to it
Seriously? Do you not have annual retinopathy scans of your eyes, tests on your feet to ensure you haven't got neuropathy, HbA1c and other blood tests?

Oh and PS - nobody here tries to control their diabetes cos it's almost impossible to do that except under strict lab conditions - we all try to manage it !

Not only do you have yourself to think of and manage your blood glucose level better but you also have your child/children to think of.
It sounds as if you need to be asking for support of your diabetic team to have the checks which you should be getting on a regular basis but to get a insulin regime which will get your levels down to more 'normal'
It may well be peoples choice to be left to get on with it id they are managing but it very much sounds as if you are not so be insistent on seeing them.

That’s pretty poor @jamielc :(

The healthcare system, particularly primary care (GPs) has been hugely under pressure since the pandemic, but routine care should be getting picked back up again now.

There are up to 15 regular checks and opportunities to access support which should be available to you every year as part of your ‘annual review’.

Perhaps you should ask your surgery when you will be getting your annual review? It may simply be an admin mix-up?

I am pleased that you have found the forum @jamielc and I hope that you are now able to get some support, and the regular checks that you should be receiving.

I am wondering how they changed your diagnosis from LADA (which is equivalent to Type 1) to T2 without any tests. Many GPs will assume that adults showing symptoms of diabetes must be Type 2.

As others have said the symptoms you are experiencing at present are likely to be false hypos. No less unpleasant for that, but if you can start to take your insulin at the appropriate times you are likely continue to see your glucose levels come down, and your body will then adjust to normal expectations on the ‘glucose thermostat’ @everydayupsanddowns mentioned.

keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back