Unable to annual review (T2)

RichardH

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My GP practice is still not offering annual reviews. Every month I’m told they might start next month. My review was due in July. My diabetes Is usually well controlled but I rely on the HB1AC test. Wondering if others have the same issue?

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was initially told when trying to book end of July would be initally phone appmointment, I did query said was no point as I needed blood test. I rang a couple of weeks later and booked along with an Asthma check, when the Nurse phoned first thing she said I needed to been seen for bloods and checks, so she booked in for following week, but did the Asthma bit over the phone. I had the checks and bloods as booked, but was rang with the results the following week.
Why not ask to speak to nurse at your surgery.

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
In the past I've had letters inviting me to make an appointment and told I had to make it within x weeks of receiving the invite. Nothing yet, but only a month overdue. More concerned about my eye check, which should have happened in June.

Martin

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
In the past I've had letters inviting me to make an appointment and told I had to make it within x weeks of receiving the invite. Nothing yet, but only a month overdue. More concerned about my eye check, which should have happened in June.

Martin
My surgery are not sending out letters at the moment, my Nurse said they are hoping in 6 months to be back to sending out letters again.

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The phlebotomist at my surgery has remained busy with blood tests but my annual review was done via the phone. She was telling me the surgery has been designated as a "clean surgery". This means they do not take any suspected coronavirus patients. However, they have reasonable hygiene control - lots of blanked chais in the waiting room, PPE for all staff, temperature check for anyone going in, prescription requests and appointment made online or via phone, ...
To be honest, it is not unusual to wait 14 months or more for an appointment for my "annual" review so I was not concerned that the pandemic extended the year a little.

DaveB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi. Why not get the blood test done at the local hospital where I usually have mine done as you can walk in anytime. All the surgery needs to do is issue a bloods form hard-copy or electronic. If you have online access to your surgery's system with access to test results then you know where you are without even seeing the nurse. Ask for online access if you haven't got it as the surgery has to provide it.

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I just had an appointment for a blood test. Apparently I just need to wear a mask and they'll let me in, take the blood and get rid of me, so I'm fully expecting it to be 5 minutes or so. (To be fair when they're running on time it's usually that, only with a bit of sitting in the waiting room.)

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Foot check needs doing too, though.

travellor

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Mine has walk in blood tests. I went in, read my results online later, and was happy enough with the results.
I declined any follow up review, but did go for the retinopathy screening.
It is marked on my records I refused the follow ups, and the foot check, but I don't have any issues, so I am happy to balance the risks this year, even though all tests are important to me, and I much prefer face to face meetings with my HCP's.
It's a fine line to walk, and all down to personal preferences.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi. Why not get the blood test done at the local hospital where I usually have mine done as you can walk in anytime. All the surgery needs to do is issue a bloods form hard-copy or electronic. If you have online access to your surgery's system with access to test results then you know where you are without even seeing the nurse. Ask for online access if you haven't got it as the surgery has to provide it.
Many are still not giving access to blood results online.

Last edited:

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had my blood test, foot check, bp and weight all done in the super empty surgery yesterday. Some results are already online. It was very quick. Wonder if the lab people toss a coin to see who should do the testing?

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had my blood test, foot check, bp and weight all done in the super empty surgery yesterday. Some results are already online. It was very quick. Wonder if the lab people toss a coin to see who should do the testing?
Most tests are doing quite quickly,in January I was not well I had the bloods taken at about 2pm, GP rang me with the results about 7pm.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1

That’s what I did, I mentioned during my phone appointment that I would quite like an HbA1c, they arranged with the hospital and I went there to get bloods done, and phoned a few days later for results.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
At none of our local hospitals are we able to make blood test appointments, all the phlebotomists have been allocated to an inpatient ward and that's that, so just a couple of them available should there be an urgent one needing to be done for outpatients or something.