Ultra-running: Who was the mysterious White Horse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Not diabetes-related, but a remarkable man. Puts me in mind of our own Joss Naylor:

The long-distance runner Michael Randall Hickman, also known as Micah True, White Horse or Caballo Blanco, was a talismanic figure for ultra-runners until his recent death. He befriended an enigmatic tribe of super-athletes and inspired many to take up ultramarathons, writes friend and Born to Run author Christopher McDougall.

The mysterious thing about the disappearance last week of Micah True - better known as Caballo Blanco, the White Horse of the Sierra Madre mountains - was that for once, we knew where he was.

He wasn't bushwhacking a secret new route through the Mexican outback because he heard a bandit was lying in wait for him on the old one.

He hadn't set off at sunrise to run all day through Mexico's Copper Canyons to visit the hidden homes of his friends, the reclusive Tarahumara Indians. He wasn't clattering across the Mojave in an ancient pickup truck, hoping to earn a few more months of food as a vagabond furniture mover.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17600061

I was reading that article earlier. What a fascinating character. 🙂

Rob

Hadn't heard of him but sounds like my kind of guy 🙂
Sad to hear of his death but at least he died doing something he loved and in beautiful surroundings. I hope we can all be that lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back