Typical day's food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I know we are all different, and people have different freedoms and restrictions on their diets whether through choice or coercion, but I thought it might be interesting to see what people get through in a typical day.

Here's what I ate yesterday, which is fairly typical:

Breakfast (pre-meal 4.7):
Porridge with spoonful of honey
125ml orange juice
Two mugs of tea (skimmed milk, half teaspoon sugar)

Mid-morning:
Mug of tea and a hobnob biscuit

Lunch (pre-meal 3.9):
Salmon sandwich on multigrain bread
Pot of Muller rice
Hob nob biscuit and mug of tea

Mid-afternoon:
Mug of tea and biscuit

Evening meal (pre-meal 6.0):
Chilli con carne (homemade) with basmati rice
Ice cream and strawberries
4 pieces of chocolate

Before bed (6.3):
Weetabix and milk

I woke up this morning to 4.4.

Last edited:
ok yesterday:

Breakfast: bowl of special k

Mid morning: banana

Lunch: mixed veg pitta

Mid afternoon: cereal bar

Dinner: grilled salmon, cous cous and veg

Evening: 4 squares of chocolate

Drinks: water and diet coke

Probably a fairly typical day for me, although if I'd been running I'd probably add in a couple more pieces of fruit.

BG this morning 5.6

Last edited:
My meals yesterday early am (about 5am) mug of tea
around 7.-730 lots of grapes
around 9.00 danish pastry and tea
12.00 (lunch) fish pie and carrotts more tea
2.45 slice of bakewell tart and tea
5.30 2 packs of whole grain savoury snacks cup of tea
7.45 (dinner) vegetable pasta

Reading this morning was 7.3...

Here's mine;
Awake at 6.15 - BS 7.5
No breakfast
Coffee & tea during the day at work
No lunch
Home from work @ 5.30 BS 8.0
Chicken & bacon pasta salad, 2 pkts crisps, chocolate for tea. 3 ciders during the evening.
BS next morning 7.2

Here's mine;
Awake at 6.15 - BS 7.5
No breakfast
Coffee & tea during the day at work
No lunch
Home from work @ 5.30 BS 8.0
Chicken & bacon pasta salad, 2 pkts crisps, chocolate for tea. 3 ciders during the evening.
BS next morning 7.2

Hi Alan

Is it because of your dislike of needles that you don't eat during the day, to save on injections?

OMG almost ashamed to post this when I see your diets are so healthy. I wasnt at work yesterday so this was the diet

0900hrs BG 5.6 No breakfast just large mug of coffee and 2 thyroxine tablets.

1245hrs BG 7.1
Lunch
Bacon sandwich with loads of butter, 2 slices white bread and brown sauce.

2hrs post BG 5.5

1800 BG 6.9 Dinner

Large bowl of homemade nachos with chilli, cheese, guacamole and creme fraiche, slice (very small) cheesecake, washed down with a huge glass of red wine.

2000hrs Lantus taken 15 units another large glass of white wine and 2 digestive biscuits.

2200hrs BG 4.1 Supper
100ml apple and mango juice and a banana.

This morning 5.3.

That all seems incredibly unhealthy to me!

Emma:(

This is a really great insight into what people are having to eat! During the week I have Special K for breakfast, sandwich or soup for lunch then a large-ish tea. Becuase I'm trying to cope with carb counting at the moment I've tended not to be snacking as not sure of if and when I'd have to do insulin (humalog) for having fruit. eg having an orange mid morning should I be doing a unit or thereabouts of insulin for this?! So right now trying to keep eating to the bare minimum until I get things controlled!

...Lunch
Bacon sandwich with loads of butter, 2 slices white bread and brown sauce...
Emma:(

Slobber!:D That sounds delicious! Haven't had a bacon sarnie since diagnosis - now you've got me wanting one!😉

Nowt wrong with the odd bacon sarnie - I usually only have one when Wilf's Cafe van is at adventure races or large orienteering events. And I won't get to a race for a few months yet...

Typically for me:
Coffee with semi skimmed milk at 7am
Breakfast at 9.30 - 2 slices granary toast with flora and marmite
Lunch 12.30-ish - green salad, tomatoes, couscous and whatever I can find in the fridge - prawns, salmon, feta cheese, ham.....followed by some melon and a kiwi fruit and perhaps some grapes
Dinner 8.30 ish - if I cook then a stir fry or home made curry, if he cooks, I get loads of veg, maybe a small portion roast chicken and one roast potato (he has been brilliant since my diagnosis)

Drinks: diet coke and water and maybe a glass of wine......

Doesnt look too bad I guess but always room for improvement!

Northerner you should really have one its fantastic, don't you remember what your'e missing, go one take a butty and let the butter run down your chin ha ha

Northerner you should really have one its fantastic, don't you remember what your'e missing, go one take a butty and let the butter run down your chin ha ha

Ooh! The temptation is unbearable...!!!

Reminds me, a few years ago I 'went vegetarian'. I wanted to force myself to new challenges in the kinds of food I ate and learning new recipes. I stuck to it pretty well, but had constant cravings for certain non-veggie food. So, I decided that one week a year would be 'meat week'. During that week I would have Chicken Vindaloo, (real!) sausages and mash, fish and chips, steak and kidney pudding, meat and potato pie and....bacon butties!!! Yum!

Went back to meat-eating after about two years.

Last edited:
Typical Day

Breakfast: 30 grams of branflakes, 100 ml 1% fat milk, with cup of coffee BS 5.4

Mid Morn: Apple & Bag of snacks (snacks alternative days)

Lunch: 2 Slices of Granary with Turkey, Low Fat Yoghurt

Mid Afternoon: Banana and 2 satsumas

Pre Dinner: 2 Crumpets (most days) BS usually around 4

Dinner: Rice/Pasta or Jacket Potatoe & Veg with home made curry, chilli, stew
BS: generally between 4 - 7

Eve: 80 grams fresh pinapple and 100 grams of fat free youghurt

As a treat this weekend, I'm dinning out and going to have chocolate fudge cake with vanilla ice cream for dessert 😱

My diet and eating times can vary due to work patterns. Sometimes meetings at various time , sometimes travelling including flights/overnights in hotels - menu choice is murder!
When home:
BS on waking (6.30 am) usually around 6 - 7
Arrival at work (7.15) cereal and semi skimmed
Lunch BS around 5 (between 12.00/1.00'ish) Three slices seeded wholemeal with ham or similar + 2 pieces fruit
Evening (6.00'ish) BS 5'ish Some meat, some veg(beans/lentils etc) and bread
Glass of Guiness or wine (or 2!) - check BS, if below 7.5, slice of toast/light spread.
Sometimes (Fridays/Saturdays) too much pizza or chips and drink (alcoholic), can be BS 10+ before bed, but OK next morning. Guess I'm still lucky.
No criticism but are we all balancing our insulin to food intake? It's hard!
I know my diet is not the healthiest, but seems to be working (luck?) at the moment.

Northener - yeah partly. I just don't think a snatched sandwich during the day is worth the hassle of testing & injection. I also don't really want to misjudge the insulin and have a hypo. So I wait and eat when I get home - if I'm hungry.

I have noticed alot of you have snacks between your main meals and before you go to bed. Do you take any Rapid Insulin for these?

I seem to keep going low 3.6 and 3.5 last 2 days just before lunch. Im carb counting correctly and on a ratio of 1 to 1. Would having a mid morning snack, say a piece of fruit without any Insulin help this?

Thanks in Advance

I have noticed alot of you have snacks between your main meals and before you go to bed. Do you take any Rapid Insulin for these?

I seem to keep going low 3.6 and 3.5 last 2 days just before lunch. Im carb counting correctly and on a ratio of 1 to 1. Would having a mid morning snack, say a piece of fruit without any Insulin help this?

Thanks in Advance

I would say definitely yes - this is one of the reasons I have the snacks as it prevents me from slipping low, especially in the morning. I don't take any extra insulin for it. Another reason is that I've been a 'snacker' all my life, but only recently diabetic - I'd find it very difficult to get through the day!

Thanks in Advance

for me, if the snack is no more than 10g of carbs then I don't take insulin for it and just correct at the next meal, if it's more then I do inject for it, just have to be careful to consider the timings if I'm correcting at the next meal.

A mid morning snack would most likely help but if youre dropping between meals then it may be that your basal and/ratios may need adjusting.

Blimey - you guys are very healthy!!

(she says whilst sipping a large glass of rose wine :D)

Blimey - you guys are very healthy!!

(she says whilst sipping a large glass of rose wine :D)

ah well, if I'm asked the same question over the weekend I doubt I'll be giving an answer anywhere near as healthy...!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back