'Typeonsies' help raise awareness of living with diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
STUDENTS at Franklin College were given a lesson in the different types of diabetes during a week at the college dedicated to raising awareness of the disease.

As part of the World Diabetes Day, Franklin College student and type one diabetes sufferer Andrew Green organised a week's worth of events and managed to raise £321 that will fund research and pay for treatment from those suffering from diabetes.

According to Diabetes UK, 3.2 million people had diabetes in the UK in 2013 and it is estimated that in 2025 five million people will have diabetes.

Andrew said: "Many people don't even know there are different types of diabetes. People tend to think about unhealthy life styles and sugar when they hear "diabetes" but actually that's not true.

"Before I was diagnosed I was very healthy and I still am, because I have Type 1 Diabetes I can eat whatever I like as long as I inject insulin accordingly, and I didn't get my diabetes for any other reason than chance, nobody actually knows what causes type one diabetes."

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/T...ing-diabetes/story-24955528-detail/story.html

Well done Andrew! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back