Type2 Low blood sugar

sandy669

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So I have T2 diagnosed 2 years ago. I have lost 4 stone since then and my hca1 is 37. I am on 500 x 4 metformin. Is it possible to have hypos with with T2

I became unwell in work today and I called nhs24 as I thought I was having a hyper. But apparently not currently in A & E as bloods are low

My husbands think my meds may need to be adjusted due to the weight loss. I also go swimming 4 times a week I generally do not eat anything before I go

Metformin doesn’t really cause hypos.

Even if your glucose goes low, which is possible after exercise, even without Metformin, your body will quickly correct it.

do you have a meter to test your BG (ask your GP DSN FOR one) If it goes below 5 treat it.

The original poster isn't on any medication that can cause hypos, so shouldn't need to do anything.

Perhaps you’re simply not eating enough @sandy669 ? Years ago a young colleague had to go to A&E after having a weird episode at work. They said a blood sugar was a bit low and gave her some food. It transpired she’d been eating very little for a couple of weeks due to upcoming exams. She wasn’t diabetic and was only early 20s.

Do you not have a blood glucose meter? You’d know if it was your blood sugar if you did.

How are you feeling now?

So I have T2 diagnosed 2 years ago. I have lost 4 stone since then and my hca1 is 37. I am on 500 x 4 metformin. Is it possible to have hypos with with T2

I became unwell in work today and I called nhs24 as I thought I was having a hyper. But apparently not currently in A & E as bloods are low

My husbands think my meds may need to be adjusted due to the weight loss. I also go swimming 4 times a week I generally do not eat anything before I go
It would be worth talking to your GP or nurse about reducing your metformin as you are still on the maximum dose and have achieved a normal HbA1C.
This is speculation it may be that the medication is inhibiting your liver from releasing glucose to help if your blood glucose has gone a bit too low which would be a natural function in someone who is not diabetic.
Having a monitor would allow you to check what your blood glucose level is if you feel a bit wobbly.

So still a wee bit dizzy, got home. My BP and bloods where low. Doc seems to think it was vertigo. But going to follow up with my GP and see if I need to get a blood monitor and get my meds reviewed still on max dose of metformin and bloods are now within normal range at 37

So still a wee bit dizzy, got home. My BP and bloods where low. Doc seems to think it was vertigo. But going to follow up with my GP and see if I need to get a blood monitor and get my meds reviewed still on max dose of metformin and bloods are now within normal range at 37
Did they check your ears for an ear infection as that can cause vertigo.
It may be you will need to self fund a monitor as GPs are not obliged to prescribe then even for people with much higher Hba1C let alone for someone who is now normal level. But you can always ask.

Back