Type2 causing Anemia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metformin can cause a B12 deficiency.
Anyone with or without diabetes can become anaemic though.

And anaemia can make you appear diabetic when you are not...

I’ve recently been diagnosed with T2 and have just started metaformin. Also found that I’m anaemic with low iron, folate and B12! I’m having B12 jabs weekly at the moment to get it within normal range and on iron and folate tablets oh and vitamin D! I eat a varied diet so should be getting good levels and am having investigations to find out why I’m not.

I’ve recently been diagnosed with T2 and have just started metaformin. Also found that I’m anaemic with low iron, folate and B12! I’m having B12 jabs weekly at the moment to get it within normal range and on iron and folate tablets oh and vitamin D! I eat a varied diet so should be getting good levels and am having investigations to find out why I’m not.
Welcome to the forum.
The HbA1C test used for diagnosis is not too reliable for people with anaemia and another test the fructosamine test is more accurate.
If you have taken esomeprazole for any length of time then that can affect the area in the gut which allows absorption of vit B12 from foods which is why oral B12 does not help. Long term use of metformin can also affect absorption of Vit B12.
Low folate can be if you have modified your diet in reducing carbs which are often fortified with folate as in breakfast cereals, bread and products made from flour.
It is good you are having tests to check though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back