Type 3c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
I am type 3c been diagnosed for 18 months, ghis hot weather is making my sugar levels go high eg 18, 20, in the night. Most people are saying this heat is making there's go down. The same happened back in June. I'm on lantis, Novarapid and metformin. My type 3c is coursed by cancer and is one of the side effects of my treatment.

Have you replaced your insulins in case they’ve become damaged by the heat @Moi ? I’d try that first. Heat used to make me go high too, but now it makes me go low. So unpredictable! If I were you, I’d be a bit anxious about putting my basal up in case I went low in the night. Do you have a Libre? The other thing you could do I’d set an alarm, wake, test and correct if needed.

Reactions: Moi
Sorry to hear your levels are going so high. We are all different but some people find the heat stresses their body which leads to higher levels whilst others (usually people who enjoy the heat) find it makes them more insulin sensitive.

Have you had any guidance on adjusting your insulin doses? BG levels are affected by about 42 different factors, the main 3 being food exercise and medication, but lots of other things have an impact and as we get more experienced at using insulin, we learn to adjust our doses to counteract whatever issues we experience with our levels. It isn't like other conditions or illnesses where the doctor tells us the dose and we just continue to take that. We need to learn how to adjust our own doses. There are education courses like DAFNE which you can ask to be put forward for.... and don't let them fob you off with ...."It is only for Type 1 diabetics"
You can also learn a lot here on the forum.

I am type 3c been diagnosed for 18 months, ghis hot weather is making my sugar levels go high eg 18, 20, in the night. Most people are saying this heat is making there's go down. The same happened back in June. I'm on lantis, Novarapid and metformin. My type 3c is coursed by cancer and is one of the side effects of my treatment.
Moi, the last 5 days have been the longest period of continuously fighting to keep my BG in range that I can remember in 13 years without a Pancreas and nearly 5 years of treatment on my Liver mets. Not sure why it could be the heat (but hasn't been before), it could be over use of infusion sites (but keep changing site), could be the insulin (i'm on my second vial so probably not)........I wish there was a simple answer. I'm bolusing an additional unit nearly every hour until i get back in range, but BG starts to rise when realistically / historically i'd be expecting to hypo.... My advise - document this period, call your CNS and DNS and politely ask for a CGM and Pump. They do not bring perfection BUT do allow the control levels we should be able to expect.

Sorry to hear your levels are going so high. We are all different but some people find the heat stresses their body which leads to higher levels whilst others (usually people who enjoy the heat) find it makes them more insulin sensitive.

Have you had any guidance on adjusting your insulin doses? BG levels are affected by about 42 different factors, the main 3 being food exercise and medication, but lots of other things have an impact and as we get more experienced at using insulin, we learn to adjust our doses to counteract whatever issues we experience with our levels. It isn't like other conditions or illnesses where the doctor tells us the dose and we just continue to take that. We need to learn how to adjust our own doses. There are education courses like DAFNE which you can ask to be put forward for.... and don't let them fob you off with ...."It is only for Type 1 diabetics"
You can also learn a lot here on the forum.
Thankyou for all your very helpful replies I will try all suggestions especially changing my injection sight and checking my insulin isn't getting damaged by the heat. I'll give my nurses a call and talk about a pump. Thank you all again.
Have you replaced your insulins in case they’ve become damaged by the heat @Moi ? I’d try that first. Heat used to make me go high too, but now it makes me go low. So unpredictable! If I were you, I’d be a bit anxious about putting my basal up in case I went low in the night. Do you have a Libre? The other thing you could do I’d set an alarm, wake, test and correct if needed.
Thank you I have replace the insulin, my libra was changed yesterday
Hi I replaced my insulin as suggested. My Libra was replaced last night so see how it goes with this one. Thankyou for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back