Type 3c featured in Balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Was lovely to see a piece about Type 3c in this quarter’s mag. The guy that is featured had a very similar story to mine. Quite young, he was 35, I was 41. Gallstone pancreatitis, diagnosed Type 2 after a few years, couldn’t understand why even after changing his diet and exercising, his BGs weren’t playing ball after initially doing well. He felt angry that he had to go on insulin, that was me too, I felt a failure. Seven years after his pancreatitis, he was taken ill again and had a pseudo cyst ( I had those when I first had pancreatitis) and was diagnosed Type 3c. Seven years after my initial illness it was discovered I had a pancreatic tumour and had most of my pancreas removed. Unfortunately Type 3c diabetes hadn’t yet been “invented “ and I was told I was type 2 right up to five years ago when a knowledgable DSN said I was Type 3c. That was a fabulous day. Like me, he now has a CGM prescribed and treat much the same as a Type 1. And like me, he has connected with other Type 3cs on FB and forums and doesn’t feel so alone. 🙂

I felt quite emotional reading it as it brought back my journey, that started way back in 2001. It was a frightening time for the whole family. They thought I was going to die, I felt so ill I thought I had! But here I am 22 years later mithering you lot everyday! 😉

It’s great that Type 3c is, at last, getting the coverage it so deserves.

Was lovely to see a piece about Type 3c in this quarter’s mag. The guy that is featured had a very similar story to mine. Quite young, he was 35, I was 41. Gallstone pancreatitis, diagnosed Type 2 after a few years, couldn’t understand why even after changing his diet and exercising, his BGs weren’t playing ball after initially doing well. He felt angry that he had to go on insulin, that was me too, I felt a failure. Seven years after his pancreatitis, he was taken ill again and had a pseudo cyst ( I had those when I first had pancreatitis) and was diagnosed Type 3c. Seven years after my initial illness it was discovered I had a pancreatic tumour and had most of my pancreas removed. Unfortunately Type 3c diabetes hadn’t yet been “invented “ and I was told I was type 2 right up to five years ago when a knowledgable DSN said I was Type 3c. That was a fabulous day. Like me, he now has a CGM prescribed and treat much the same as a Type 1. And like me, he has connected with other Type 3cs on FB and forums and doesn’t feel so alone. 🙂

I felt quite emotional reading it as it brought back my journey, that started way back in 2001. It was a frightening time for the whole family. They thought I was going to die, I felt so ill I thought I had! But here I am 22 years later mithering you lot everyday! 😉

It’s great that Type 3c is, at last, getting the coverage it so deserves.
Thanks for the warning @eggyg
Good to see the clear information and interesting to see such a high percentage of 3cs were misdiagnosed. I expected it to be high but up to 97% is pretty appalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back