Type 3c can't be vegan! Am i a Vegabetic then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hepato-pancreato

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Saw a documentary on netflix. Praising the plant based diets of some proffessional athletes. Thinking of giving it a go.problem is i am Type 3c. Creon is derived from pigs pancreas. There is no way around that unless anybody out there knows a way! Thinking of calling myself a VEGABETIC. because i certainly won't be a vegan.

Saw a documentary on netflix. Praising the plant based diets of some proffessional athletes. Thinking of giving it a go.problem is i am Type 3c. Creon is derived from pigs pancreas. There is no way around that unless anybody out there knows a way! Thinking of calling myself a VEGABETIC. because i certainly won't be a vegan.
That could be a problem for people who for religious reasons don't have pig products then. I wonder what they do.
My father, grandfather and cousin were all lifelong vegetarian and their criteria was that the animal should not have been killed to yield whatever product or food. This was not easy in those days, grandfather was born in 1873 and my father in 1908 and developed Type 2 in his early 50ies but passed away from a heart attack not long after when I was 12. It is ironic considering he had a healthy diet with no animal fats.

The vegan society define veganism as follows. I suggest that “as far as is possible” means you can be a vegan and take creon, given there isn’t a vegan alternative.

Veganism is a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose

As Lucyr says it is about trying your hardest to follow your principles regarding choice of whether to be a Vegan,Vegetarian or whatever and it is an individual choice.
As Creon is so vital for Type 3c s then if its sole source is animal ie porcine derived then you have little choice.
Similar to when the choice was animal derived insulin if you desperately need the medication then you have little choice in the matter.
ATB
But in terms of diet I can see a lot of benefits in a plant based approach but personally I eat meat on grounds of taste and nutrition but prefer a lot of vegetarian options and give me a plate of vegetables rather than meat any day.
I could never become Vegan simply as I could probably give up meat but never cheese.
Good luck with any choice you make

That could be a problem for people who for religious reasons don't have pig products then. I wonder what they do.
My father, grandfather and cousin were all lifelong vegetarian and their criteria was that the animal should not have been killed to yield whatever product or food. This was not easy in those days, grandfather was born in 1873 and my father in 1908 and developed Type 2 in his early 50ies but passed away from a heart attack not long after when I was 12. It is ironic considering he had a healthy diet with no animal fats.
Thankyou for your reply. very interesting.

The vegan society define veganism as follows. I suggest that “as far as is possible” means you can be a vegan and take creon, given there isn’t a vegan alternative.

Veganism is a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose
Wow never knew that. Thanks for your reply.

As Lucyr says it is about trying your hardest to follow your principles regarding choice of whether to be a Vegan,Vegetarian or whatever and it is an individual choice.
As Creon is so vital for Type 3c s then if its sole source is animal ie porcine derived then you have little choice.
Similar to when the choice was animal derived insulin if you desperately need the medication then you have little choice in the matter.
ATB
But in terms of diet I can see a lot of benefits in a plant based approach but personally I eat meat on grounds of taste and nutrition but prefer a lot of vegetarian options and give me a plate of vegetables rather than meat any day.
I could never become Vegan simply as I could probably give up meat but never cheese.
Good luck with any choice you make
Thankyou for your reply. Very positive non judgmental.

As a longtime veggie before becoming 3c I'm not particularly happy about having to take a pork product but had to accept that there is no alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back