RirisR

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello and welcome members will be along shortly to ask
you certain questions more informed than I am hang in there
all will be well;)

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
We are overwhelmed with so many information. Dont know where to start. And he loves food specially sweets. Gonna be very hard !

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Then you’ll get lots of support here @Being positive Lots of Type 2s use diet to help them control their blood sugar. Do you know what his HbA1C was? That was probably the test that diagnosed him. It will be a number like 52, 75, 89, 102, etc.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A good place to start is to do a food diary of what he usually eats, and then look at places you can tweak things to reduce the carbs he’s eating (carbs are what puts blood sugar up).

EllsBells

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello my husband just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes
Hiya @Being positive - I'm doing just that - the food diary is an excellent starting point. Has your OH been given any advice from GP? There's quite a bit of variation in NHS guidance and support vs lived experience and needs!

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
'Sweets' are not food - some desserts are considered food it's true but you just have to be more discerning about whether you will eat them LOL

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hiya @Being positive - I'm doing just that - the food diary is an excellent starting point. Has your OH been given any advice from GP? There's quite a bit of variation in NHS guidance and support vs lived experience and needs!
They give this website (diabetes.org.uk) link & said will follow up his progress after 6 months .
Would you mind to share your food diary please. So that I can have some idea. Thank you he loves sweet, don’t know what to do with his sweet cravings ..

EllsBells

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
They give this website (diabetes.org.uk) link & said will follow up his progress after 6 months .
Would you mind to share your food diary please. So that I can have some idea. Thank you he loves sweet, don’t know what to do with his sweet cravings ..
A food diary is simply a log (an honest one) of everything that he eats in a day. 51 is just within the diabetes range, so hopefully a few tweaks are all that is required. Pay special attention to the amount of carbs (not just sugar) in each meal as this is what is affecting his blood sugar levels. So, if he eats a lot of pasta or chips for example, is the amount he's eating above the recommended portion size - consider reducing the amount.

Carbs lurk all over the place - cereals, grains, bread, potatoes, beans and pulses, pasta, quite a lot of fruits as well as more obvious suspects like cakes, sweets etc

With the sweets, the cravings will subside after going without for a couple of weeks - but maybe just limit him to one or two a day so they are more of a treat. Or swap for dark chocolate.

You've not mentioned it, but you may want to consider investing in a blood glucose testing machine so you can test his blood sugar levels at home.

Something else that might help is investing in the carbs and cals book which is a visual guide of portion sizes of popular foods alongside their key nutrition info. It's a useful reference guide.

Last edited:

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Maybe start with the starches, rather than macaroni cheese, try cauliflower cheese with just cauliflower and cheese and some spices or herbs. I devised the method of cooking the cauliflower until just before it is done, then take a warm dish - have the oven on a low to medium heat, put in the cauliflower in a heap, cover with cream cheese, sprinkle with any herb or spice you like, then add grated cheese - I like red Leicester, then you can add some crumbled blue cheese if you like that, place in the oven for a few minutes until the cheese is melting. If it is not going a light golden colour turn up the heat a bit and note the temperature for next time. The desired effect is a lightly tanned look, not weather beaten.
Having swede cooked under a roast chicken or joint rather than potatoes, stir fry or salad will all help - cheese waffles are good too - they are known as chaffles, but I christened a thick rasher of bacon in a chaffle the bacon chaffy - it is far too good not to have its own designation.
Cutting out the starches should make quite a difference, but I still have desserts using a lot of gelatine and sugar free jelly to set it rather than thickening with starch. I make real custard from eggs and cream, which can be frozen to make icecream without all the sugar and chemicals which is called icecream these days.

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
If you look at the thread 'What did you eat yesterday' you will see the sort of meals people have on a daily basis, although usually people don't necessarily mention the portion size will notice that for people with Type 2 their carbs are limited. Those with Type 1 because they can correct with insulin do probably have more carbs so just be aware of that.
Deserts are challenging but sugar free jelly with a few berries and cream or full fat yoghurt with berries or seed and nuts. There are some recipes on here for some low carb deserts and an internet search for keto or low carb deserts will give you a few suggestions. If you have restricted the carbs in the main course, maybe just having meat or fish with salad or veg then you will have carbs to spare for a desert if that is a consideration for enjoying your meal.

Cherrelle DUK

Online Community Coordinator
Staff member
Hello, welcome to the forum.

It is a bit of a minefield to start but we're here to support you and your husband on this journey.

It may be useful to start by understanding the numbers if you you're testing daily. This page will help with that https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/managing-your-diabetes/testing

Daily meals can be tricky to adjust but many manage by lowering their carbs / swapping them for healthier alternatives. Here's a useful page to understand what to eat https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/enjoy-food/eating-with-diabetes/i-have-type-2-diabetes

The thread that gives an idea of what others eat daily is here but do remember that everyone is different. https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/what-did-you-eat-yesterday.30349/

Take your time and have a read through then let us know if you have any questions.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @Being positive - love your username!

A little positive thinking and determination goes a long way with diabetes management :)

You’ve had some great links and suggestions already. For a bit of background and a useful overview of diabetes that you can work through at your own pace and dip back into whenever you need, members here often recommend Maggie Davey’s Letter and Gretchen Becker’s book T2 Diabetes, the first year too :)

Keep us posted with how things go, and keep asking questions :)

Outofsorts

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I joined in March after being diagnosed with type 2 , I don’t take any meds just need to lose 4 stone , I’m beginning to understand the illness having bought 3 books on the subject , type 2 first year, carbs and cals, Michael Mosely 800 diet , but nowhere can I see what amount of cals, carbs I need and after suffering with constipation and thank you to those who have helped me with that side of things , but what numbers am I aiming at on a daily basis ?

EllsBells

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I joined in March after being diagnosed with type 2 , I don’t take any meds just need to lose 4 stone , I’m beginning to understand the illness having bought 3 books on the subject , type 2 first year, carbs and cals, Michael Mosely 800 diet , but nowhere can I see what amount of cals, carbs I need and after suffering with constipation and thank you to those who have helped me with that side of things , but what numbers am I aiming at on a daily basis ?
I think this is entirely up to you and what you want to do. An average western adult eats around 200-300g carbs per day (or thereabouts). Your brain uses the sugars from around 130g carbs a day to function. If it can't get the sugars from carbs, it will take them from proteins you eat or that are stored in your body. Low carb is therefore defined at being under 130g carbs per day.

A lot of Type 2's have experimented to find their 'sweet spot' of carb intake, which their bodies can cope with - so for some, this may be a normal amount, for some this may be much lower at 100g, for others it will be 60-65g. Still more have found that sub-40g works for them - a keto diet.

I've found my body can work quite well at sub-100 and this may include one meal a day with a half portion of basmati or pasta or 100g new potatoes.

It is a case of trial and error, using your BG meter to guide you. For faster weight loss going to 800 calories a day will likely preclude you from ingesting a lot of carbs - so it will be lower carb by default.