Type 2

Geranium

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes this morning, by a pharmacist. It was picked up on a routine blood test which I have regularly due to having an SMI. I was told I would be going on Metformin and would need eye and foot tests. I have been given no medication as yet, and have no understanding at all of what is going to happen next. I didn’t ask much at the appointment, as I was shocked and I am autistic which means it takes a while for me to process information. Please help.

Hello and welcome. What a shock for you. May I suggest that you start to work your way through the Learning Zone on this site, at your own pace, so you can process the information. Perhaps start with the Food module. Were you told what your HbA1c was? If we know, it will help us help you with any questions you may have.
Metformin is the standard first medication prescribed. The eye and foot tests are annual, but it normally takes some time for the appointments to come through. Best wishes

Thanks, my HbA1c was 51. I am already on quite a lot of medication, and am worried that the Metformin may interfere with that or vice versa.

Thanks, my HbA1c was 51. I am already on quite a lot of medication, and am worried that the Metformin may interfere with that or vice versa.
That is quite low on the diabetes range, you might not need Metformin, but reducing the carbohydrate in the diet can be very effective in sorting things out and it can result in feeling a whole lot better if the inability to cope with glucose has been going on for some time.
I keep things simple by avoiding foods which are high carb, but eat anything else - though I do avoid seed oils and low fat options.

Hi @Geranium , welcome to the forum. I was only diagnosed T2 6mths ago. It takes a while for it to sink in but there is a lot of helpful information on this site who from people who have been living with diabetes for several years. Hopefully you will get a treatment plan and your medication sorted soon

That is quite low on the diabetes range, you might not need Metformin, but reducing the carbohydrate in the diet can be very effective in sorting things out and it can result in feeling a whole lot better if the inability to cope with glucose has been going on for some time.
I keep things simple by avoiding foods which are high carb, but eat anything else - though I do avoid seed oils and low fat options.
Hi @Drummer can I ask why you avoid seed oils? I thought with the omega 3 &6 fatty acids that they are generally a good source of fat in a healthy diet.

I would have thought with an HbA1C of only 51 which is just over the diagnostic threshold then it would be worth asking if you can hang off taking metformin for 3 months so you can see if dietary changes will be sufficient.
If you find it easier to read things then have a look at this link which has some good ideas for dietary changes https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Some seed oils are very highly processed and therefore not as brilliantly healthy for us as they may initially appear.

Hi @Drummer can I ask why you avoid seed oils? I thought with the omega 3 &6 fatty acids that they are generally a good source of fat in a healthy diet.
Since I stopped using sunflower oil I no longer find sunlight painful - I used to use factor 50 sunscreen.
I decided to use only the natural fats which came with the foods I ate, which lowered my cholesterol from prediagnosis levels.
I no longer have a florid complexion, something which used to worry doctors and nurses rather a lot for decades.

This is worth a read:-

Since I stopped using sunflower oil I no longer find sunlight painful - I used to use factor 50 sunscreen.
I decided to use only the natural fats which came with the foods I ate, which lowered my cholesterol from prediagnosis levels.
I no longer have a florid complexion, something which used to worry doctors and nurses rather a lot for decades.
That's really interesting, both the effect on your cholesterol levels and your skin reaction to UVA/UVB from sunlight. Not something I was aware of. I eat a very small amount of sunflower oil and it doesn't appear to affect me.

This is worth a read:-

Hi Martin, good morning and thanks for the link. As sunflower and rapeseed oil is widely recommended as part of a healthy diet this is new to me. I don't eat very much oil but since T2 diagnosis my diet is very much under review now. Reading through many posts on the forum, diet plays a key role in long term diabetes management.

Hi Martin, good morning and thanks for the link. As sunflower and rapeseed oil is widely recommended as part of a healthy diet this is new to me. I don't eat very much oil but since T2 diagnosis my diet is very much under review now. Reading through many posts on the forum, diet plays a key role in long term diabetes management.
I think the main issue with seed oils being 'bad' is that they are widely used in UPFs. According to BBC Good Food, for cooking at home oils high in monounsaturated fats, like olive oil or rapeseed oil, are better for heating. We always use Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil.

I think the main issue with seed oils being 'bad' is that they are widely used in UPFs. According to BBC Good Food, for cooking at home oils high in monounsaturated fats, like olive oil or rapeseed oil, are better for heating. We always use Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil.
I also use olive oil, particularly in salad dressings or with sauteed veg. We eat very little UPFs most of our food is prepared from scratch so we know what goes in it. We cut out takeaways several years ago due to financial reasons at the time. Now most UHPs make us feel sluggish and under par for a few days so we just avoid them

I found the article about seed oils interesting. I tend to poached fish or cook in the microwave and use butter for taste or olive oil. I do sometimes use Hill farm rapeseed oil which I have assumed is a reasonable alternative to olive. A lot of farmers grow rape in this area. I assume the way it is processed may make it less evil. Ie it is cold pressed. However I don't use much oil.

If people are worried about the processing / extraction techniques, there are ‘cold pressed’ versions of many oils including rapeseed.

Oils / fats in cooking does seem to be a topic which attracts a lot of coverage, dire warnings, and Very Strong Opinions in basically all directions. My simplistic view is that none of it is probably as healthy or as unhealthy as some sources claim. And I try to tread a moderate path which seems to be backed by the majority of evidence/thinking.

Not comprehensive or well researched, but essentially for me:
  • Mono unsaturated / poly unsaturated probably better overall
  • Saturated won’t kill you in 10 minutes flat, but too much over too long a time is not great either
  • Plant based generally better than animal based (this week)
  • Aim for a balance of omega 3 and omega 6 (not all-or-nothing either way)
  • Choose suitable smoke point / stability if cooking, roasting, or frying
  • Sometimes ‘processing’ can be good - removing impurities that oxidise at higher temps
Your fat-opinions may vary 🙂

Welcome Geranium
Try not to worry, your follow up appointment may take some time, but for sure as suggested see if you are able to avoid metformin for time being by reducing carb intake, that is whatever you eat now along those line, first try reducing by half. Most food items now have total carbs including sugars noted on the back of the packet.

At your leisure Understand carbs page is here: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...counting/learn-about-carb-counting/the-basics

Also at your follow up appointment you may want to make a note to ask about an education programme to help you understand and mange things.

Best wishes

PS I only use extra virgin olive oil and butter in my diet 😛 On my education course for Type 2 the nutritionist said Rapeseed was the best as it is so dense it does not go off like other oils and olive oil was the next best thing. I found I preferred olive oil for flavour, down to personal preferences really.

Last edited:
good morning and welcome to the forum

Back