Type 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann67

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi , Does anybody else have trouble keeping their blood sugar stable? Mine seems to be all over the place, one day 14, next day 18, then 10. No matter what I seem to do can’t get BS stable. Any advice welcome. Thanks

Are those after meals, on waking - when are you testing?

When were you diagnosed and are you on any medication? What was your latest HbA1C as that will indicate whether those are readings consistent with the HbA1C result

Hi , Does anybody else have trouble keeping their blood sugar stable? Mine seems to be all over the place, one day 14, next day 18, then 10. No matter what I seem to do can’t get BS stable. Any advice welcome. Thanks

Welcome @Ann67 Are you on any medication for the diabetes?

I thought blood sugar goes up and down throughout the day naturally. So depending on what time of day you're testing you're going to be looking at the scores going up and down.

@RichardsUsername is right that Blood Glucose (BG) levels go up and down throughout the day and night in response to a number of factors, the main 3 for us diabetics being food, exercise/activity and any medication we take, but there are lots of other factors.
Obviously those readings are higher than you would like and if they are before meals, then much higher than you would like, so it is relevant to ask when they were taken in relation to food and what that food was.

If you are newly diagnosed then it takes time to bring levels down and whether you are using appropriate actions to achieve that. Having a systematic testing regime will help you to understand what is going on a little better too. Random tests will give you almost no information, testing before you get out of bed every morning will give you a baseline for your fasting levels. Testing immediately before eating a meal and then 2 hours later will tell you how your body coped with that meal. You have to be quite structured in order to start seeing patterns with testing and using that info to help you manage your diabetes.

@RichardsUsername is right that Blood Glucose (BG) levels go up and down throughout the day and night in response to a number of factors, the main 3 for us diabetics being food, exercise/activity and any medication we take, but there are lots of other factors.
Obviously those readings are higher than you would like and if they are before meals, then much higher than you would like, so it is relevant to ask when they were taken in relation to food and what that food was.

If you are newly diagnosed then it takes time to bring levels down and whether you are using appropriate actions to achieve that. Having a systematic testing regime will help you to understand what is going on a little better too. Random tests will give you almost no information, testing before you get out of bed every morning will give you a baseline for your fasting levels. Testing immediately before eating a meal and then 2 hours later will tell you how your body coped with that meal. You have to be quite structured in order to start seeing patterns with testing and using that info to help you manage your diabetes.
I thought those readings do seem pretty high. As I understand it between 4 and 7 is a normal target. Mine average about 6 or 7, if I'm lucky but I could do a lot better with many factors.

I thought those readings do seem pretty high. As I understand it between 4 and 7 is a normal target. Mine average about 6 or 7, if I'm lucky but I could do a lot better with many factors.
The target is 4-7 before meals and no more than 8.5 2 hours after meals.

We could all do better on occasion but it is about finding balance and trying to hit those targets most of the time is usually good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back