Type 2 Treatment Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallycorker

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
...........Wallycorker seems to have been rather unlucky with his health team............
Don't just take my word for it Andy!

There are many more examples on these diabetes forums where Type 2 diabetics have been given the same advice as me - i.e. "do not test" and "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate" coupled with "eat starchy carbohydrate with every meal".

As far as I am concerned, that's very bad advice indeed for non-insulin-dependent Type 2s!

John

Don't just take my word for it Andy!

There are many more examples on these diabetes forums where Type 2 diabetics have been given the same advice as me - i.e. "do not test" and "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate" coupled with "eat starchy carbohydrate with every meal".

As far as I am concerned, that's very bad advice indeed for non-insulin-dependent Type 2s!

John

Agreed.

But you can't then tar all health care personnel with the same brush. My experience has been completely different to yours (and some other peoples).

I was encouraged to test moderately. I was told to eat a balanced diet. I was told that if I wanted something more carby for pudding, say, then that had to be accounted for from somewhere else (e.g. halve the potatoes). This all strikes me as good advice and my progress so far has been a testament to it.

Andy

..........I was encouraged to test moderately. I was told to eat a balanced diet. I was told that if I wanted something more carby for pudding, say, then that had to be accounted for from somewhere else (e.g. halve the potatoes). This all strikes me as good advice and my progress so far has been a testament to it.........
Hi Andy,

Yes - you were the lucky one it seems!

However, when I was as far into my Type 2 journey as you are today - and still following the "do not test" and "eat starchy carbohydrate" advice - then I too was quite happy with things because my condition was only progressing - i.e. deteriorating - slowly. That was all very good they all kept telling me! In fact, they told me that I was progressing - i.e. deteriorating - much more slowly than most other Type 2s.

As you may already know, after eight years when I wasn't far away from needing to inject insulin, I decided to follow different advice from what I read in books and on the internet and today my situation is massively different. All my numbers being lower than they have ever been and very much different to many others in my situation from what I read on these diabetes forums.

As far as I am concerned all that is due to starting to test and modifying my diet - and mainly due to cutting back on the amount of starchy carbohydrate that I eat - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, pizza etc. Again, as you may already know, I eat very little of those food types these days.

Hope that things will continue to go well for you. If it doesn't at least you will know what to do to achieve even better results than you are at present.

Best wishes - John

Yes, I understand that you continued to deteriorate (albiet slowly) initially following the advice that you were given.

My point is that I have improved by following the advice that I have been given. I did not have any period of deterioration like you. Also, because I have improved so much, I have been off all medication since the beginning of February (a personal choice, supported by my GP).

Yes, things may not continue quite so well for me in the future. Who knows? But what I do know is that my health team has been a good one and I have a reasonable expectation that they will continue to support me as they have already done so far.

Andy

I have very little to complain about. My GP prescribes me strips, contrary to PCT rules round here that says no T2 testing. I've found, and now manage to avoid, the nurse who cannot get blood out of me in any circumstances. The GP practice receptionists are helpful. I've seen a podiatrist and have a right of self-referral to podiatry should I need it. I've had a full ECG work up. My only serious complaint is that, 11 months after diagnosis, I'm still waiting for my first eye scan and my meeting with the dietician - I'm relaxed about the last one as my weight and lipids are now normal range.

On the other hand, I got no personalised dietary advice whatsoever. I did get given some leaflets and brochures which all said to base all my meals around starchy carbohydrates, albeit with a low GI emphasis.

As it happens, GP and nurse agree with a reduced carb approach. In an unguarded moment, I heard it said that this approach is not recommended only because they think it's unsustainable for, and unsellable to, their 'typical' patient who can't or won't reduce those carby foods that send them high.

If i had been writing this 6 month ago i would of been saying just how badly treat i have been but since i have changed my GP i have never felt more cared for,the problem with my DSN is at first i had a lady dsn then after 2 meetings with her i got this guy called Paul he is so sweet but i find it so hard to talk to him about how im feeling etc so that would be my only gripe, ive never had any bother getting strips etc, and now that u have this new GP she is so encouraging.I was never told i would not be allowed strips infact at the beginning of my diagnosis my old GP could not of given a dam just shoved some leaflets in my hand thankfully those days are gone now

Last edited:
My GP prescribes the test strips, and meds as I need them. However care in other ways leaves a lot to be desired. I think part of the problem with me having so much sick is when I need a certificate (which I don't ask for unless I need it) he is always very reluctant to give me one and I end up with multiple visitis to him and more time off work because I haven't had a chance to rest when I should.

As for advice, I get more from here than I do from him. When I wanted to go on a course I had to argue my corner with the course providors as he said he wouldn't send me on a course he's never heard of.

I think I need to win the lotter and move near to some of the other forum members who get brilliant care.

I know exactly what Wally is saying. My experience is "you have type 2 diabetes, we will test again in 3 months, putting you on Metformin." Very little else has been said. I asked about diet and was told that I was losing with Slimming World to just carry on. I brought my levels right down but told to carry on taking the tabs. No urine test. After 1st 3 month test now told to go back in 6 months. I would say my 'care' is zilch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back