Type 2 since March 23, 28 year old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evanlf

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Morning everyone!
I am recently diagnosed type 2 in march as a 28 year old with a sugar level of 68. I had an awful doctors surgery who for many reasons meant I had to change doctors. They put me on metformin but now my new doctors have been super helpful! I now have a blood reader and tested for the first time this morning, and after fasting my reading was 8.7mmol should I be worried?
Since march I’ve done as much as I can I’ve lost a stone and a half and completely cut refined sugar out, but I need to be better with carbs and heavily reduce those

Welcome to the forum, you will find lots of tips from people who have managed to get their blood glucose into the normal range by making lifestyle changes and maybe the help of medication.
As it is early days for you your morning fasting reading whilst higher than you want it to be is a good start as it is often the last reading to come down. Your aim is 4-7mmol/l fasting or before meals.
Also lucky you have been given a monitor as many Type 2 have to self fund, the main thing is to make good use of it and keep good records of your readings and your food intake.
Many find it useful to test before eating and after 2 hours to see how they tolerate the amount of carbohydrates in their meal. They would look for no more than a 2-3mmol/l increase after 2 hours. If it is then they need to reduce the portion size of the carbs or cut something out.
You have done really well on the weight loss and that will be helping but looking carefully at your carb intake not just sugar as it is all carbs which convert to glucose. Many following a low carb approach as in this link will have no more than 130g per day total carbs spread between meals, drinks and snacks if you have any.
Keeping a food diary with an estimate of the total carbs can be helpful in seeing where you can make some saving either by reducing the portion size, cutting some things out or making some substitutions for lower carb alternatives. It may sound like a bit of a faff but worth it in the long run.

Brilliant you have found a more supportive doctor.

Well done @Evanlf 🙂 I found testing before eating then 2 hours after really helped me sort out which carbs I can tolerate and which I can't. It's pretty much trial and error as all diabetics are different. General carb reduction is sort of standard for all diabetics but until you see what spikes your BG you can't be sure. You should be aiming for around 2mmol higher after eating; any more and it probably doesn't agree with you. 8.7 fasting is high but not super-high, so keep up the good work and I'm sure things will improve.

I reduced carbs down so I was seeing 8mmol/l or less after meals and then stuck to the same meals. The blood glucose levels continued to go down, presumably as my metabolism recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back