Type 2 Reversed Diabetes for the last 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon McCullough

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hay all. I was told to take Metformin 500g once a day, which I did, when I was diagnosed with diabetes in my 40's and I lost 2 stone a month later. The condition happened really suddenly in about 3 weeks in 2012, I then realised I was drinking to much water/coke, sugary drinks. After going to London from Northern Ireland to a trade show during work, I was really thirsty on the flight and I needed more to drink more, then ran to the Vendi machine to buy a coke & toilets. I had to buy more water eventually, because of the volume it took to make me feel better, instead of sugar sodas and I started getting bloated. The time I looked in the hotel mirror with my abdominal belly being bigger than normal, really disturbed me and realised something was wrong.

I did change my diet and stopped eating sugar based products, when I was told I had diabetes. I was experiencing low sugar symptoms, which a professional doctor called my mother at the time, and told to tell me to stop taking my medication. I thought at the time I was misdiagnosed, but I was wrong. I had at the time adjusted my diet to eat no sugary foods.

I have had my Diabetes reversed for over 10 years now and I have never had chocolate, sugar, or anything like that since then, which sounds sad. I really forgot what it does to me now, because I was lethargic before it happened. I remember going to sleep earlier in the evening like 8 or 9 pm, which I would normally stay up until 11 or 12.. I live on full fat cream and sugar free jelly, which I love, Although it has lactose, its small, so I do count my Carbs for 50 - 100g grams a day. I rely on my body doing Gluconeogenesis to balance my sugars, as long as you are not on Metformin, as this would be dangerous for going too low and having Hypos. Pork Chops and Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, Cabbage to name a few. having this with gravy and Mushrooms. Sometimes a Steak, Mushrooms and a Salad is a change. Mixed Grill is soo good when you eat out, having some mustard and extra mushrooms.

I Have had my ups and downs with my diet in the past few years, but don't give up. Your expected to fall, fail when it comes to lovely food, just get up again, your diet is not ruined because of that lapse in judgement, your allowed to fail sometimes, just eat the right foods the next day.

Since past family Deaths, I lost a little control and had bread during the Covid outbreak and also Potato, of course chips. I was warned by my clinic to take the Me forming again, having higher blood sugars. I got it back into control again and straightened my diet.

Welcome to the forum @Simon McCullough

Congratulations on your effective management of diabetes for so many years. Glad you have found a level of carbohydrate that seems to suit your body, and have been able to make ongoing tweaks and modifications to your menu to keep things working well for you 🙂

Hi and welcome.

Many congratulations on figuring out how to manage your diabetes through diet and especially for maintaining it for so long. It sounds like your levels were quite high at diagnosis if you were suffering the severe thirst you describe.... It is quite a memorable experience when you are drinking water like a fish and are still thirsty. I won't ever forget that day and night drinking and weeing!

I see on another thread that you posted on, that you deduct Fibre from the carb total. Are you in the USA because here in the UK, the Fibre has already been deducted, so you may be miscalculating your carbs if you are in the UK. Obviously you are still managing on the level of carbs you are consuming, but it may be slightly higher than you think if you are deducting Fibre when the total carb content doesn't contain Fibre in UK products/foods, so just something to be aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back