TYPE 2 READINGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bala

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My first posting

I see various abbreviations - what applies to me?

I take insulin once a day at night with a setting of 12 (something)
My Blood Glucose readings next morning are averaging 10+ (something)
I am 84 years of age - a bit overweight, No energy and get very sleepy.
Am I average or Any suggestions to improve my lot?

Thanks a lot

Bala

Welcome to the forum @bala. I hope this link helps (if i've attached it properly).

I’d guess you’re taking 12 units of insulin at night (insulin is measured in ‘units’). What’s the full name of the insulin you’re taking?

What blood glucose readings are you getting through the day? If you’re waking up with a reading of 10+ it’s possible you’re going higher during the day and this is contributing to your sleepiness. On the other hand, going too low can make you feel sleepy too, so my advice would be to always test if you feel sleepy, shaky, sweaty, or just strange in any way.

Insulin doses are dispensed in ‘units’. The most common strength of insulin is 100u/ml so 12 units is twelve hundredths of a millilitre of fluid.

Fingerstick plasma glucose readings in the UK are given in mmol/L. The recommended levels are often 4-7 before meals and up to 8.5 by 2hrs after meals. Though your Dr may recommend slightly different levels for you as an individual. You don’t have to hit these targets 100% of the time, but the more time you can spend ‘in range’ the lower your risks of developing long term diabetes health problems

Another reading you might be given is your HbA1c - which is a longer-term measure of blood glucose management over around the preceding 3 months. This is measured in mmol/mol and is likely to be a number above 48.

Hope this helps 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back