Type 2 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmaL76

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
briefly I’m a diabetic who’s type is unknown. bit of background (and sorry for those who have heard this repeatedly) borderline GD 24 years ago, episodes of raised sugar since then and over the threshold age 43. Told type 2, but weight and fitness levels and no evidence of other metabolic issues led to testing for type 1. Slight antigad positive so diagnosis changed to type 1. Insulin therapy just wasn’t right for me, C-peptide showing good insulin and possibility of resistance. Awaiting results of latest c-pep. MODY has been suggested but not sure if I will ever get testing for that… no diabetes in family so unlikely. So to get to the point, my DN and I both feel I’m more likely an unusual phenotype type 2. I don’t take any meds but do low carb. My numbers are good, hba1c 35, I’m lucky to have the libre and my average sugars are 5 and my fasting is currently about 4.4. My Morning spikes are reducing every week. I’m happy with my progress and have come to terms with my diet. I’m interested in stories of type 2’s who have had the condition for many years. As I’m youngish for type 2 I’m concerned about the stories of progression and wondered about other peoples experience of this. Have people retained good figures for many years or even seen improvements of the food they can tolerate? I know I have this for life, I can cope with that, but I really need some hope that if I stay disciplined it will be worth it.

I’m T2 aged 34, and have had diabetes since I was 20. I’d consider myself in the atypical T2 category too. My weight does point to T2 as I’ve always struggled with that, but I’ve never had any of the tests for other types.

A bit of background on my progression, basically none of the oral medications or T2 injectables did anything for me, or if they did work it would only be for a short time. A low carb diet upsets my stomach and makes me feel mentally terrible with anger/irritability etc. I did have symptoms of reactive hypoglycaemia in the past but i also am prone to ketones when ill / missing insulin / as a reaction to medications. My a1c this week was 70, but I’ve been unwell since Christmas and have had better a1c in the past.

For me, I do like insulin as it gives me the ability to control my diabetes whereas other medications I just felt a bit lost. If they weren’t doing anything I’d have to wait until my next review to try a different dose then I’d find that still didn’t work…

I definitely find my diabetes works in cycles. I’ll have a few months where my bgs are high and hard to control, I seem insulin resistant, then this will be followed by a few months of being really sensitive to insulin, or having perfect bgs even when I slip up on doses. Even in the times of seeming more insulin resistant though, I’m glad to be able to take some insulin to get the BG down and reduce future complications rather than struggling on with nothing else working to bring it down.

Sorry that was all a bit of a ramble and I’m on my phone so going to hit post before it vanishes somewhere! Not sure I answered any of your questions since my progression from diagnosis to insulin was only a couple of years, but hopefully helps to know you’re not the only one who feels they don’t really have a diabetes “type”

Thankyou so much for the time you took to reply to me. I find it really useful and in some ways therapeutic to hear similar stories xx

I have been diagnosed Type 2 for 20 years, was overweight and have history of Diabetes on both side of family. Managed on Diet and Exercise for first 4 years. Currently on Metformin and Alioglptin, last HBA1C 53, my weight now in normal BMI range. Have been on Metformin, Gliclazide, and Siptagliptin in the past.

I'm with you @EmmaL76 and think you are fortunate in having a DN who does not need the administrative convenience that comes from wedging everybody with an elevated HbA1c who is not clearly and obviously Type 1 into the same box, whether they fit or not.

I don't fit into the "normal" pattern whatever that is either and as I have oft suggested I think it is well beyond the time that real effort was put into subdividing "T2" into its various root causes and working out optimum management strategies for each from the outset.

I'm with you @EmmaL76 and think you are fortunate in having a DN who does not need the administrative convenience that comes from wedging everybody with an elevated HbA1c who is not clearly and obviously Type 1 into the same box, whether they fit or not.

I don't fit into the "normal" pattern whatever that is either and as I have oft suggested I think it is well beyond the time that real effort was put into subdividing "T2" into its various root causes and working out optimum management strategies for each from the outset.
I completely agree. The lacklustre, ahh whatever approach to type 2 is really quite unacceptable. A consultant once told me that there was type 1 and 2 and a grey area in between that nobody understands. Is anybody even trying to?

I completely agree. The lacklustre, ahh whatever approach to type 2 is really quite unacceptable. A consultant once told me that there was type 1 and 2 and a grey area in between that nobody understands. Is anybody even trying to?
I believe the Exter University team, suggested a few years ago they had identified over 50 distinct types of Diabetes, all requiring differnt approaches.

Yeah - somebody did anyway - and ISTR that was a hypothesis which Dr David Cavan & other people at that end of the diabetes hierarchy also agreed with. I think they're right! - from what I've seen and heard whilst on forums over the years. People generally do not fit in boxes with rigid sides - so why would their medical conditions? - frustrating though it is if you happen to need to categorise them!

This got less publicity than the Newcastle Diet , which was released about the same time.
Thanks for the info. I’ve been reading up on the Exter University team and they seem to be quite progressive. pushing for specific treatments for all the different sub types. Some of the researchers are funded by diabetes uk. Feel like I want to contact them. Maybe they need a Guinea pig.

Thanks for the info. I’ve been reading up on the Exter University team and they seem to be quite progressive. pushing for specific treatments for all the different sub types. Some of the researchers are funded by diabetes uk. Feel like I want to contact them. Maybe they need a Guinea pig.
You could contact them and see.

Hi @EmmaL76 I'm Type 2 but skinny...my issue these days is keeping HbA1c down while keeping weight on! Diagnosed 2009 and managed by diet and exercise fairly easily until recently, when I've had to put more effort into managing my diet. I still take no medication. You'll see from my signature that Exeter had my DNA but didn't find the genes for abnormally high background blood glucose.
So, yes, you can keep it under control for a long time, and the discipline is worth it, in my experience....but we're all different.
50 shades of D? I had no idea!
Good luck and hope you hear back from Exeter.
Nick

Hi @EmmaL76 I'm Type 2 but skinny...my issue these days is keeping HbA1c down while keeping weight on! Diagnosed 2009 and managed by diet and exercise fairly easily until recently, when I've had to put more effort into managing my diet. I still take no medication. You'll see from my signature that Exeter had my DNA but didn't find the genes for abnormally high background blood glucose.
So, yes, you can keep it under control for a long time, and the discipline is worth it, in my experience....but we're all different.
50 shades of D? I had no idea!
Good luck and hope you hear back from Exeter.
Nick
Thankyou so much for sharing your experience with me. It’s good to hear you are maintaining control, but I know how hard and draining it must be.
50 shades of D :rofl: doubt that would be a best seller !!

• Haha
Reactions: gll
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back