Type 2 or not...very confused, advice needed....

Status
Not open for further replies.

departed

Hi folks, need some advice and guidance if possible.

I'm from the UK but live abroad and through some recent health checks at work my fasting glucose has come back at 7.43mmol and then a second test a few weeks later at 7.1mmol-so well into the category for a diagnoses of type 2 on two separate occasions......however....

My HbA1c is 5.9% , in the pre-diabetic range in the country i'm in but actually considered 'normal' for the UK.

So which do i go by? Fasting on more than one occasion diagnoses me as diabetic, whereas my a1c isn't even in the diabetic range.

Depending on which Dr i talk to here, i'm either type 2 and need metformin or i'm just insulin resistant.

I've also done fasting insulin and it comes out at 16 which is pretty high. For context i'm a fairly fit guy who cycles and gyms regularly, eats well and is a good weight for my height, so i'm guessing maybe some genetic component here.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

All countries have different ranges, you go by the definition of the country you live in. You wouldn’t normally start on medication for bgs as borderline on yours though, but work on diet as the first step

Diabetes UK have some information about BG monitoring which may help

Hi folks, need some advice and guidance if possible.

I'm from the UK but live abroad and through some recent health checks at work my fasting glucose has come back at 7.43mmol and then a second test a few weeks later at 7.1mmol-so well into the category for a diagnoses of type 2 on two separate occasions......however....

My HbA1c is 5.9% , in the pre-diabetic range in the country i'm in but actually considered 'normal' for the UK.

So which do i go by? Fasting on more than one occasion diagnoses me as diabetic, whereas my a1c isn't even in the diabetic range.

Depending on which Dr i talk to here, i'm either type 2 and need metformin or i'm just insulin resistant.

I've also done fasting insulin and it comes out at 16 which is pretty high. For context i'm a fairly fit guy who cycles and gyms regularly, eats well and is a good weight for my height, so i'm guessing maybe some genetic component here.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Are you on a keto, or full carb diet?

Hi. Fasting tests are not useful for regular testing as the Dawn Phenomenon (overnight liver dump) will affect results. You need to do tests typically 2 hours after a meal. Have you used the gym to test your body fat? I do that every so often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back