Type 2 new to meds

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLP

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I am type 2 and have been controlling my sugar levels with diet for the last 10 years but I have finally lost the battle and have been put on Glucophage (metformin Slow release). At the moment getting appointments to discuss things with a Dr is very difficult where we live. So I’m reaching out to anyone who has any knowledge about Liraglutide as my local pharmacist has said it is a better option? I have looked online but can’t see any comparison or any advice.
If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful ☺️

Unless you have a considerable amount of weight to loose, it would be unlikely for them to offer or agree to Liraglutide if you are just starting on metformin.
Metformin is cheap and if tolerated, tends to work for many people. Liraglutide is an injectable and pretty pricy (its like £3 a month vs about £45 £60-120 a month for the cost of meds to the NHS - very roughly, don't quote me on that).

There is a flow chart of meds they follow and before moving down to the new line and they will increase your dose of your current med(s) as needed to the max tolerated before adding on another one.

Metformin is line one, GLP-1 (Liraglutide is in this group) is on line 3 so you would need to max out metformin, still not be in target, max out the next drug of choice, still not be in target before they would pretty much be guaranteed to offer you it.

I'm not trying to crush any hopes and dreams of you picking what might suit you, I'm just trying to give you a realistic expectation.
That being said, what's the worst that can happen if you ask 🙂

Some links for you to take a look at as a starting point

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...treating-your-diabetes/tablets-and-medication
is an overview of all classes of t2 meds

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...etes/tablets-and-medication/incretin-mimetics
is the one liraglutide falls under

Someone may be able to talk more about one vs the other (I have only tried metformin out of the two) but I just wanted to give you some insight into NHS prescribing for a T2. 🙂

*Edit

updated the average cost of meds, I was a bit off

Also wanted to add the flowchart link and nice guidelines link which is the document the flowchart is based on.
I have just reached line 3 and my experience has been exactly followed to the letter of that chart 🙂

Last edited:
Unless you have a considerable amount of weight to loose, it would be unlikely for them to offer or agree to Liraglutide if you are just starting on metformin.
Metformin is cheap and if tolerated, tends to work for many people. Liraglutide is an injectable and pretty pricy (its like £3 a month vs about £45 a month for the cost of meds to the NHS - very roughly, don't quote me on that).

There is a flow chart of meds they follow and before moving down to the new line and they will increase your dose of your current med(s) as needed to the max tolerated before adding on another one.

Metformin is line one, GLP-1 (Liraglutide is in this group) is on line 3 so you would need to max out metformin, still not be in target, max out the next drug of choice, still not be in target before they would pretty much be guaranteed to offer you it.

I'm not trying to crush any hopes and dreams of you picking what might suit you, I'm just trying to give you a realistic expectation.
That being said, what's the worst that can happen if you ask 🙂

Some links for you to take a look at as a starting point

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...treating-your-diabetes/tablets-and-medication
is an overview of all classes of t2 meds

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...etes/tablets-and-medication/incretin-mimetics
is the one liraglutide falls under

Someone may be able to talk more about one vs the other (I have only tried metformin out of the two) but I just wanted to give you some insight into NHS prescribing for a T2. 🙂
Thanks very much for your info. I have been trying to find out this info for the last couple of weeks!
I knew there would be a big price difference, I just didn’t know what the other parameters would be
Thanks again

Liraglutide is used to help T2s with excess weight lose that weight. It's always much better to do that where you can thru a low-carb diet. Metformin is usually the best drug to start with. It doesn't do a lot but it's low cost and a good start together with the right low-carb diet.

Hi
I am type 2 and have been controlling my sugar levels with diet for the last 10 years but I have finally lost the battle and have been put on Glucophage (metformin Slow release). At the moment getting appointments to discuss things with a Dr is very difficult where we live. So I’m reaching out to anyone who has any knowledge about Liraglutide as my local pharmacist has said it is a better option? I have looked online but can’t see any comparison or any advice.
If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful ☺️
You really need to speak with yr doc when you can - Internet message boards aren't great places to look for medication advice. Certainly nobody here is any kind of expert, and nobody knows your exact circumstances. Or maybe you could try the DUK help line?

(Having said that, I would have thought Ozempic (semaglutide) is better than liraglutide (Victoza, Saxenda etc). Same kind of drug, broadly, but Ozempic is newer and more efefctive for weight loss and BG control.)

You really need to speak with yr doc when you can - Internet message boards aren't great places to look for medication advice. Certainly nobody here is any kind of expert, and nobody knows your exact circumstances.
I agree 🙂
I updated my post with nice guideline links for the document and the flowchart that reflects that.
All I can say is my experience has been that flowchat to the letter.
A convo with your GP is always worth it as you might get one that is willing to listen and respond to your requests and consider your circumstances.

I agree 🙂
I updated my post with nice guideline links for the document and the flowchart that reflects that.
All I can say is my experience has been that flowchat to the letter.
A convo with your GP is always worth it as you might get one that is willing to listen and respond to your requests and consider your circumstances.
Great to have the flow-chart, thanks! About a billion times better than random unqualified message board comments 🙂

Suggest posting it in the Useful Links section and asking mods to make it a sticky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back