Type-2, new oral treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellwell1212

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Been reading a few articles today about dapagliflozin and drug trails at Brum Uni. Reads well for those of us T2's where metformin alone does not cut the mustard and are not too keen on the long term effects of glicacide. To save me a trip to the doc, was wondering if anyone on here knew when this drug would hit the streets? or indeed have any knowledge of the drug.

Have no knowledge of the drug, but I hope we get to hear more about it soon. Anything with minimal side effects in the long term must be worth considering.

Read a bit about it yesterday but not sure how long until it will be lisenced and able to be prescribed. I did read something about the concern about side effects but I didn't get to read what those are.

ref. side-effects..... all i have seen so far was an article about a 65 year old hospitalized Argentinian gentleman, who was on a major cock-tail of drugs. He had developed a heart arrhythmia, do no know if that was caused by Dapag* or not.

I only heard about it this morning (coz i've been ill and away from my work email for two days i guess..) and that's only coz i registered our office with an NHS Info bullitin.
Any idea of what stage of trials it had cleared? I'm guessing that they were the later stages of clinical trials. And am i right in thinking that it was the one with the side effect of increased urinary infections? (I wrote this down coz i thought somebody here might be interested, but i left the paper at work!)
I think that the next stage to be approved by some kind of national formulary, a bunch of doctors and pharmacists who decide if the drug is worth the money the drug company is asking for it.I think it also has to be approved by NICE. I have no idea how long this takes, and then it could be on trial in certain trusts and PCTs only before going country wide. I'm basing this info on a chemo drug we had added to our hospital formulary about 18 months ago, we got it before other hospitals coz our trust/area had been chosen as one of the first.
I'm guessing it could be a while, but stuff like Sitaglipton and Vildagliptin are availible to prescribe now.
Thinking about it, the company will probably what to test the drug against the rival gliptins, to convince hospitals and trusts that it's worth the money. Also bare in mind that most NHS Trusts are trying to save insane ammounts of money at the moment. If it costs a lot more and doesn't offer all that much better results than it's rivals, it may have to wait until after the recession, whenever that is....

Rachel

haha rachel i was just about to post how id hoped youd come in with your excellent advice !!

Ha ha! I may be talking cobblers for all i know, but i reakon that new drugs have to at least impress NICE and any local formulary committees before they can be prescribed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back