Type 2 misconception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
When I read about type 2 and how it is described I often see it says it usually occurs in people over 40, i am seeing more and more that is simply not true, for instance my own case i was 26 and diagnosed and i know some others in here are below 40 years of age and type 2 ..I just think when it is happening more and more often that it should be termed in a better way.
Just my thoughts anyway.

Steffie, I agree with you. Statistically it may still be true that most people are diagnosed Type 2 over 40, but the number below that age is becoming more common.

I have the misconception from the other angle - Type 1 is supposed to afflict people in childhood or early adulthood, but I was 49! As you are finding, I to am finding there are many, many people in their 30s and older getting diagnosed as Type 1. The divisions just help to complicate things for the general public - and some healthcare professionals! - as they make big assumptions about your type according to your age.

Yep, I was 42. And based on that alone was diagnosed as type 2 😱

"Usually" means more often than not, and it's still true that more people when diagnosed with type 2 diabetes are over 40 years, just as more people when diagnosed with type 1 diabetes are under 40 years. That doesn't mean that no-one over over years gets type 1 diabetes, nor that no-one under 40 years gets type 2 diabetes. So, as long as "usually" is always in the statement, I hope that includes 26 year olds diagnosed with type 2 diabetes like Steff and 49 year olds diagnosed with type 1 diabetes like Northerner. I feel the more important issue is that everyone, regardless of age or condition gets appropriate support and treatment. The NHS can't do everything, which is why I hope this board is useful to some, whether they post or lurk.

As an alternative example - how many assume that everyone diagnosed with breast cancer is female? Some men are diagnosed every year - and probably find pink waiting rooms and talk about bras less than helpful.

As an alternative example - how many assume that everyone diagnosed with breast cancer is female? Some men are diagnosed every year - and probably find pink waiting rooms and talk about bras less than helpful.

This is true, and from what I have seen/heard there is a HUGE stigma attached to it. Along with the fact that it is even harder for a man to have a mammogram..

There are misconceptions attached to virtually all illnesses/conditions, and I think as you say Copepod as long as we get the right treatment/help/diagnosis we can learn to live with the confusion caused when we find ourselves in the 'outwith the accepted norm' category!

Karinagal - Always good to see / hear "outwith" - doesn't happen often in England, but luckily I learned it from my Scottish grandparents, who still used the word, despite moving to England in 1930s, until their deaths in 1990s.

there are so many misconception associated with type 2, in about 20 years time they will finally admit that being overweight is only a contributing factor not the cause ,my father was like a pin yet was type 2 /my older sister like me is overweight I'm [4stne according to my nurse] both type 2 ,my younger sister i would`nt say is overweight type 2 ,
as for myself i was told by my doc the biggest contributing factor to me was that i was on cimetadine and other tummy drugs for over 40 years after drinking domestos as a child as my mother lay flat out in a diabetic sleep way back in 1964-65,

Karinagal - Always good to see / hear "outwith" - doesn't happen often in England, but luckily I learned it from my Scottish grandparents, who still used the word, despite moving to England in 1930s, until their deaths in 1990s.

:D:D That's what happens when you're a civil servant, you find ways to use words/language that nobody knows/understands!! It's all in the handbook that we get at the induction course... 😉😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back