Type 2 - low risk - BG readings average 7's - 8's with Metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilLady

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I was diagnosed type 2 in June, 35 year old white female, HBAC1 139. I've lost a significant amount of weight, over 3 stone in the last 6 months. 1 & half prior to diagnosis due to untreated diabetes. The rest diet and exercise. I take 2 500mg of metformin a day.
My BG's are on average 7's, 8's, occasional 9's or 6's, up and down.
But I am now low risk of developing type 2, surely my BG's should be lower now?
I eat low carb, under 47g per meal.
I know the readings aren't terrible, but they're certainly diabetic.
Any thoughts? Thanks x

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210919-220033_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210919-220033_Samsung Internet.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
You seem to be getting hung up on this risk score having posted it in a few different threads. It’s irrelevant what your risk of getting diabetes is since you already have diabetes. It doesn’t tell you anything about what blood sugars you should have. It’s a tool for helping identify those who haven’t been diagnosed but who are at highest risk of having diabetes.

Also, low risk does not mean no risk. If you read the image it says 1 in 100 in this risk group will develop diabetes in the next 10 years. You are unfortunately that one.

You seem to be getting hung up on this risk score having posted it in a few different threads. It’s irrelevant what your risk of getting diabetes is since you already have diabetes. It doesn’t tell you anything about what blood sugars you should have. It’s a tool for helping identify those who haven’t been diagnosed but who are at highest risk of having diabetes.

Also, low risk does not mean no risk. If you read the image it says 1 in 100 in this risk group will develop diabetes in the next 10 years. You are unfortunately that one.
I know. I am hung up, you're right.
I am so frustrated they're not lower
I've done everything in my power to change my health, to a point where I am not even in the risk group anymore, (I know it's irrelevant now) but my readings are still high.
It's demoralising and I just don't understand.
My cholesterol is 3.5 (ideal) my blood pressure is very low (like a teenagers apparently- 90/60). So why are my BG's not lower?? Or do I have no patience at all.
Got my first eye screening in a couple of weeks and I am so anxious about the results. I just want things to stabilise and be better.
Just disappointed..

Have you received any information from your G.P and/or a referral to a local health authority Diabetes Education Course. Also have you thought about joining your local Diabetes UK support group. Regards. Tim.

I know. I am hung up, you're right.
I am so frustrated they're not lower
I've done everything in my power to change my health, to a point where I am not even in the risk group anymore, (I know it's irrelevant now) but my readings are still high.
It's demoralising and I just don't understand.
My cholesterol is 3.5 (ideal) my blood pressure is very low (like a teenagers apparently- 90/60). So why are my BG's not lower?? Or do I have no patience at all.
Got my first eye screening in a couple of weeks and I am so anxious about the results. I just want things to stabilise and be better.
Just disappointed..
Type two diabetics cannot cope with carbs. Blood glucose levels have nothing to do with cholesterol, nor blood pressure. If you eat more carbs than you can cope with, then your blood glucose will rise to levels higher than might be advisable and that will be reflected in the Hba1c number.

Hi, I don’t think you are giving yourself enough credit, with a hba1c of 139 a few months ago and now having 7 and 8’s on average you are doing very well. I completely understand the anxieties and fixation on numbers. Wanting to be in the ‘normal’ range when your trying so hard. Personally I wouldn’t be able to eat 47g of carbs with each meal, but we are all totally different. I’ve been diagnosed a year (type currently unknown) and in that time I have turned into a wreck ! I’m slowly starting to relax but I have times where I just can’t cope with the pressure of it. All that stress has done nothing for me and certainly won’t of helped my BG. Your doing great please don’t beat yourself up xx

I agree with Emma 47g carb per meal is not all that low carb when you also add drinks into the daily carbs you are probably having getting on for 180g per day. If you really want to get a grip on your levels then adopting a testing regime to see what foods you can tolerate would be wise, some people are more sensitive to some carbs more than others, just to be awkward not all carbs are the same for some people.
You sound like somebody who likes to be in control of their situation and testing would allow you to do that.

eat low carb, under 47g per meal.
I eat 3 meals of approx 25g and leave some carbs for drinks and snacks so under 100 daily and this seems to work for me. Maybe try cutting you carbs a little more as 47g seems reasonably carby to me personally as others have mentioned. This could be why you are not getting lower Bgs.
Well done though on what you have achieved so far.

I agree with Emma 47g carb per meal is not all that low carb when you also add drinks into the daily carbs you are probably having getting on for 180g per day. If you really want to get a grip on your levels then adopting a testing regime to see what foods you can tolerate would be wise, some people are more sensitive to some carbs more than others, just to be awkward not all carbs are the same for some people.
You sound like somebody who likes to be in control of their situation and testing would allow you to do that.
Sorry should have said I do count drinks too. I eat under 47g
So usually 20g - 30g, very occasionally 40g

I eat 3 meals of approx 25g and leave some carbs for drinks and snacks so under 100 daily and this seems to work for me. Maybe try cutting you carbs a little more as 47g seems reasonably carby to me personally as others have mentioned. This could be why you are not getting lower Bgs.
Well done though on what you have achieved so far.
Hi, I don’t think you are giving yourself enough credit, with a hba1c of 139 a few months ago and now having 7 and 8’s on average you are doing very well. I completely understand the anxieties and fixation on numbers. Wanting to be in the ‘normal’ range when your trying so hard. Personally I wouldn’t be able to eat 47g of carbs with each meal, but we are all totally different. I’ve been diagnosed a year (type currently unknown) and in that time I have turned into a wreck ! I’m slowly starting to relax but I have times where I just can’t cope with the pressure of it. All that stress has done nothing for me and certainly won’t of helped my BG. Your doing great please don’t beat yourself up xx
Thanks, I've got my HBAC1 on Thursday sure il feel better then.
Su

I like yourself have done everything i can to get a healthier lifestyle and lower BG level. I eat healthily and exercise and have lost a lot of weight. Had i done this all my life i may well not be diabetic now. I had a very carb rich diet which i didn't realise my body could not cope with til too late. The damage had already been done.
I know genetics can have an effect too (my father was diabetic) but my previous diet and weight probably did not help. I know there are exceptions and some skinny, fit Type 2s before anyone says but a majority of us were not and needed to adjust our lifestyles or cut carbs that our bodies struggle with..
All we can do is try our best to be healthy and keep an eye on BG levels and what carbs our bodies can deal with or not. I use a meter to do this and see what i can eat to keep my BG in check. Sorry i haven't seen you mention using a meter.
It's not all doom and gloom and my diagnoses has been a wake up call and i feel healthier and happier than i have in many years. I have heard many people say this.
Don't stress about the chart that predicts whether you are at risk of getting Diabetes as you can't change the fact you now have it. Just do your best to control it in the future, and looks like you are making good progress already as it's early days yet having not long been diagnosed.

Last edited:
I like yourself have done everything i can to get a healthier lifestyle and lower BG level. I eat healthily and exercise and have lost a lot of weight. Had i done this all my life i may well not be diabetic now. I had a very carb rich diet which i didn't realise my body could not cope with til too late. The damage had already been done.
I know genetics can have an effect too (my father was diabetic) but my previous diet and weight probably did not help. I know there are exceptions and some skinny, fit Type 2s before anyone says but a majority of us were not and needed to adjust our lifestyles or cut carbs that our bodies struggle with..
All we can do is try our best to be healthy and keep an eye on BG levels and what carbs our bodies can deal with or not. I use a meter to do this and see what i can eat to keep my BG in check. Sorry i haven't seen you mention using a meter.
It's not all doom and gloom and my diagnoses has been a wake up call and i feel healthier and happier than i have in many years. I have heard many people say this.
Don't stress about the chart that predicts whether you are at risk of getting Diabetes as you can't change the fact you now have it. Just do your best to control it in the future, and looks like you are making good progress already as it's early days yet having not long been diagnosed.
Thank you. Yes I do test at home x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back