Type 2 - Low reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant2908

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Evening all,

I was diagnosed type 2 on 14th January and for the most part it has been going really well. I’ve stabilised between 4-5 almost consistently. However, today i had a reading of 3.9 and kind of scared my self that I’m going to have Hypo’s to contend with. Just to add a bit more to this, I’ve gone 6 hours between breakfast and lunch today, whereas usually eat at around 4 hours.
I know 0.1 sounds minuscule but I can’t help but feel worried, should I be?
I’ve also made the mistake of dramatically reducing my levels in a seriously short space of time. HBA1cat diagnosis was 127, my tracking app has me estimated at 31.3 (started recording 2 days after starting metformin)
I’m quite strict on testing before and after meals daily to understand what foods are causing spikes etc but I can’t help but feel todays low reading has added another angle to try and avoid.

If you’re not on medication that causes hypos (sounds like you’re just on metformin?) then it’s nothing to worry about. Non diabetics see readings under 4 before meals too.

Thanks @Lucyr i think I’m just still on edge and trying to perfect things that can’t really be perfected, if I’m making any sense!
Your right, just metformin 2 x 500mg a day

Thanks @Lucyr i think I’m just still on edge and trying to perfect things that can’t really be perfected, if I’m making any sense!
Your right, just metformin 2 x 500mg a day
Down to about 3.5 counts as normal range, plus meters are only accurate to within 15%. Unless you feel unwell with it I’d not worry especially if it was a mealtime.

If you took medication that could drop bgs, or you felt unwell with a low reading other than being panicked, or your reading was particularly low eg under 3.5, then you should take 15g fast acting carbs. This shouldn’t be necessary on just metformin but can occasionally happen when someone has eg reactive hypoglycaemia.

If you take medication that drops bgs you have to treat under 4.0 as you may still be dropping further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back