Type 2 following slimming world with success and recently put on jardiance

Status
Not open for further replies.

megzmam

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello all, I think this is my first post even though I read on here regularly. I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic about 18 months or so ago my blood count is sitting around 50-54 , I try to eat well but I have depression and turn to food , I can be good but can be bad, anyway I started following slimming world again after having success a few years ago, I tweak my carbs as my diabetes nurse says it’s fine to follow but be mindful of my carbs portions which to be fair with SW a lot of carbs are unlimited , I got a referral for a 12 week countdown and with one week to go I’m sitting at having lost one and a half stone which I’m thrilled with, last week I had my diabetes review and my blood count was 50 , I have had metformin in the past but it didn’t suit me so for a while now I’ve been taking linaglipain, my nurse rang and suggested I start with jardiance, she mentioned the jab that’s hard to get at the minute so said she’d prescribe these instead, we talked at length about them , what to expect etc etc and I said I’d try them….so far so good day five today , I’m not experiencing any of the common side effects but I am urinating a lot, but I drink a lot of water anyway , coffee I like strong and black but switched to decaf a long time ago.
anyway I’m looking really for others experiences with jardiance and wanting to know how it’s helped with your blood count and weight loss, I know it’s not specifically prescribed for weight loss but it can help with that? I have high blood pressure but last week that had come down by 10 on my last reading a few months ago , I take meds for that and also a statin at night, heart issues in my family with both my parents , my dad died at a similar age to I am now and my mum also had a heart attack 20 years ago, that was when she found out she had diabetes….she manages hers now with insulin.
Thankyou for reading and over to you x

Although your weight loss is fantastic and you are seeing a small drop in your HbA1C following the SW program I suspect as it is not specifically targeted at reducing carbohydrates which is the important thing if diagnosed as Type 2 diabetic.
I would think with a dietary approach focused on reduction in carbs you should be able to continue with weight loss as well as reduce your HbA1C without medication. GPs are often not recognising the power of a low carb regime.
Have a look at this link and compare with your SW program as a new perspective may allow you to make the difference needed. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Although your weight loss is fantastic and you are seeing a small drop in your HbA1C following the SW program I suspect as it is not specifically targeted at reducing carbohydrates which is the important thing if diagnosed as Type 2 diabetic.
I would think with a dietary approach focused on reduction in carbs you should be able to continue with weight loss as well as reduce your HbA1C without medication. GPs are often not recognising the power of a low carb regime.
Have a look at this link and compare with your SW program as a new perspective may allow you to make the difference needed. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
is the app free

Hello all, I think this is my first post even though I read on here regularly. I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic about 18 months or so ago my blood count is sitting around 50-54 , I try to eat well but I have depression and turn to food , I can be good but can be bad, anyway I started following slimming world again after having success a few years ago, I tweak my carbs as my diabetes nurse says it’s fine to follow but be mindful of my carbs portions which to be fair with SW a lot of carbs are unlimited , I got a referral for a 12 week countdown and with one week to go I’m sitting at having lost one and a half stone which I’m thrilled with, last week I had my diabetes review and my blood count was 50 , I have had metformin in the past but it didn’t suit me so for a while now I’ve been taking linaglipain, my nurse rang and suggested I start with jardiance, she mentioned the jab that’s hard to get at the minute so said she’d prescribe these instead, we talked at length about them , what to expect etc etc and I said I’d try them….so far so good day five today , I’m not experiencing any of the common side effects but I am urinating a lot, but I drink a lot of water anyway , coffee I like strong and black but switched to decaf a long time ago.
anyway I’m looking really for others experiences with jardiance and wanting to know how it’s helped with your blood count and weight loss, I know it’s not specifically prescribed for weight loss but it can help with that? I have high blood pressure but last week that had come down by 10 on my last reading a few months ago , I take meds for that and also a statin at night, heart issues in my family with both my parents , my dad died at a similar age to I am now and my mum also had a heart attack 20 years ago, that was when she found out she had diabetes….she manages hers now with insulin.

I got my type 2 diabetes into remission and back in the prediabetic range after less than 3 months of reducing carb intake. I now eat pasta rarely - usually only if out for an Italian meal. I eat rice in small portions but it's always wholemeal rice. Bread is wholemeal sourdough and limited to no more than 2 slices per day. I try to avoid carb 'overload' in meals, so restrict myself to either bread, rice or potatoes to accompany a meal. I'm eating far more vegetables than I used to. I don't take any medication - my diabetic nurse says it is only issued by my GP if blood count reaches 58. I'm happy with this because my view is why take medication if I can control it via diet and exercise? I go to 4 exercise sessions per week at my local leisure centre. I think it's the combination of carb reduction and regular exercise which has helped me. I know that I will have to stick to this regime for the rest of my life, and it's taken me a long time to come to terms with that. I've also lost weight, averaging at a regular 1-2 pounds per week. Although I've had days when I've eaten some chocolate or cake, it seems not to trigger binges any more.

Hi If you are in Jardiance Empagliflozin please be careful and look out for any red rashes. A rare side affect is Fourniers Gangrene around genitals and can be very serious. This os not well known by health practitioners.

Well done on weight loss.

Wife did SW diet few years back & lost 5 stone in total, prior to weight loss she was told she was prediabetic but weight loss reversed that diagnosis.

Well done on your weight loss!

Hope you get some help from the Jardiance.

Do you check your own levels at home to see how the SW menu is suiting your BG levels, and what effect Jardiance has?

Well done on your weight loss!

Hope you get some help from the Jardiance.

Do you check your own levels at home to see how the SW menu is suiting your BG levels, and what effect Jardiance has?
No I don’t check them but thinking I should , I’ll look into that

Thankyou all for commenting , sorry I’ve taken so long replying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back