Type 2 diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amanda733

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
High blood sugar level and insulin resistant so I’m on metformin - only just starting my journey got told I wouldn’t be at risk of hypos or need to monitor my blood sugars but I find this even more confusing when trying to decide what to eat!

I have cut out sugary drinks, fast food and deep fried foods also potatoes and cakes’ biscuits and chocolate. Cut dozen on alcohol. I need to lose weight but it’s all so confusing any advice would be appreciated oh and any exercise advice would be good too.

thank you
amanda

Welcome @Amanda733 🙂 It sounds like you’ve made a good start on your diet. For exercise, do what you fancy, but I find walking particularly good. No booking or planning needed.

High blood sugar level and insulin resistant so I’m on metformin - only just starting my journey got told I wouldn’t be at risk of hypos or need to monitor my blood sugars but I find this even more confusing when trying to decide what to eat!

Welcome to the forum @Amanda733

Great to hear about the positive changes you have made already!

It’s quite common to be told you don‘t need to test if you are not at risk of hypos, but for many on the forum hypo risk os just a small part of the helpful information that a BG meter can give.

An HbA1c is a great way of monitoring overall glucose concentrations over a period of 3-4 months, but it’s much less good at providing immediate feedback on how your body responds to particular food choices. For example, which fruits suit your metabolism? Are you OK with an apple? How about an orange? What about a banana? Potentially a similar amount of carbs in each, but some people‘s gut biome and genetic make-up can make one push their BGs through the roof, while another gives only a modest wobble.

And the same is true of other sources of carbs too. Bread? Cereal? Rice? Pasta? Oats? What portion sizes suit you? Which sources of carb is your body happiest with?

You can take a reading immediately before eating, and again 2hrs later. Ideally you’d want to see a rise of no more than 2-3mmol/L between the two readings. If you see a bigger rise try a smaller portion, or perhaps swap to a different source of carb.

If you want to try this method, the most affordable meters members here have found are the SD Gluco Navii or the Spirit Tee2 - which both have test strips at around £10 for 50. Some meter brands can have strips that cost 3x that much!

This link might point you in the right direction if you are interested in a low carb approach, designed by a GP practice to help their Type 2 patients lose weight and reduce blood glucose. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
You certainly sound to have made a good start.

any exercise advice would be good too.
I exercise by taking a long walk every day (my target is 6000 steps) and doing 20 lengths of our local pool twice a week. I find that's enough to keep me fit and active.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice - it’s very overwhelming but I’m trying to learn

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice - it’s very overwhelming but I’m trying to learn
Hi,
It takes time so go slowly. The best way I found to handle it was to self test to see what foods and portions worked for me. There is no one diet that works for everyone. I was also told by my GP not to self test but I couldn’t understand the thinking behind that. How would I know the ok foods? I also kept a food diary recording food eaten and self test results. This all proved to be so valuable. Now I self test only when I venture to eat something different. It takes time and a bit of effort but well worth it. Btw my GP still doesn't know about my self testing but the practice nurses do and are very happy with it. Good luck. The forum is a wonderful tool full of good advice.

Last edited:
Hi,
It takes time so go slowly. The best way I found to handle it was to self test to see what foods and portions worked for me. There is no one diet that works for everyone. I was also told by my GP not to self test but I couldn’t understand the thinking behind that. How would I know the ok foods? I also kept a food diary recording food eaten and self test results. This all proved to be so valuable. Now I self test only when I venture to eat something different. It takes time and a bit of effort but well worth it. Btw my GP still doesn't know about my self testing but the practice nurses do and are very happy with it. Good luck. The forum is a wonderful tool full of good advice.
Thank you a food diary sounds good to me and I’ve ordered a monitor so I can self test I need to understand what foods do to my body

Thank you a food diary sounds good to me and I’ve ordered a monitor so I can self test I need to understand what foods do to my body
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back