Type 2 diabetes patients 'must be taught how to self-monitor'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
People with type 2 diabetes who do not use insulin but self-monitor their blood glucose levels at home do not always understand their readings or take the appropriate action to control their levels, a new study has found.

The research, led by Dr Josie Evans, Senior Lecturer in Public Health in the School of Nursing, Midwifery and Health at the University of Stirling, involved 207 people with type 2 diabetes who self-monitored their blood glucose levels.

It was found that three in five patients (60%) did not take action when they saw their blood glucose levels, mainly because they did not know what to do.

http://www.nursingtimes.net/nursing...be-taught-how-to-self-monitor/5042758.article

(free registration required)

That's the crux of the whole blooming shebang isn't it?

The NICE Guidelines said (dunno if they still do or not) that if Patients were to self-monitor, they had to be also given education in what to do with the results. But all that is available is the information Dr Deaths and Nusie Nightshades already have, eg telling a T2 female social worker who finds her BG too high after she's come off shift at 10pm, got home and had her 'tea' to go for a quick jog round the streets/park. In Central London ......

Yes I know it was my own fault I got mugged/raped Officer - by being alone in the Park at 12 midnight in the rain. But my Nurse told me I had to pound the streets during the night ......

NICE guidelines do not necessarily apply in Scotland.
Maybe Dr Evans should pop the mile or so to tell Stirling Royal Infirmary how well they are doing!
2 out of 5 is not bad is it? I would have expected a lot worse. How many T2s do not self monitor is a much better question, because they can't do anything about their condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back