Type 2 diabetes: Insulin greater risk, finds Cardiff study

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Patients with type 2 diabetes treated with insulin could be exposed to a greater risk of complications, a Cardiff University study has found.

Academics examined the risk for patients compared with other treatments lowering blood glucose levels.

Patients with type 2 diabetes are typically older people who are overweight.

But the study's professor stressed that people should not stop taking insulin, but speak to their GP if concerned.

The study found these patients have a greater risk of complications like heart attack and stroke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21319226

Hmm, are they talking about people taking just insulin, or folk who take it in combination with other medications, or both?

Typical - love the stock photo of how not to use a finger pricker:D

The majority of T2s taking insulin would probably be constantly hyper is they didn't take it so where is the increased risk, where is the comparison with people who have to take insulin (because the other treatments don't cut it) but don't take insulin.

This study is another reason why the NHS shouldn't make patients medical records available to all and sundry.

Without seeing the full study report, it's difficult to tell whether they have proven a causal link between insulin and poor outcomes. My gut tells me that those requiring insulin may have already have sustained damage from possibly years of unsuccessful attempts to lower BG using D&E with or without drugs. I wonder if that was controlled for?

LOL - headline

100% of people ever born will die!

I laughed because all T2 people use insulin, don't they? Just like all the people without diabetes do ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back