Type 2 diabetes book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monica

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
As I have already mentioned in one of the other threads, one of our neighbours has recently been in hospital to have a toe removed and at the same time being diagnosed with type 2. The docs think that he must have had it for approx. 2 years (how DO they know that????). He's now home. My other half has been "dragged" in from the street by him this morning 😉. When my hubby came back, he said that the neighbour has been told to test twice a day, but he hasn't got enough strips (but I'm guessing he'll get some more tomorrow from the docs). Also he's not been shown how to use the meter and not been told that he shouldn't use the forefinger and thumb to test. He would like C to go over tonight and show him properly how to do it (she's not keen, I'll ask her again tonight).

But my main question is: Is there a good book anyone (Northerner?) can recommend? My hubby wanted to lend him our Type 1 for Children book, but I don't think that's a good idea.

Sorry to hear about your neighbour. I think they just guess based on likely outcome if someone was known to have diabetes but did nothing to control it when estimating how long.

The book that is most frequently recommended by the people here (and elsewhere in the diabetic community!) is Type 2 Diabetes: The First Year by Gretchen Becker (amazon link). 🙂

You might also want to print him a copy of Maggie Davey's letter to newly diagnosed Type 2s:

http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=5836

Last edited:
Very good choice and a book i will back to the hilt it is am amazing read i adore it lol.

I added a bit more to my post 🙂

Thank you. I've just read a little bit of it. I'll print it off for him. I'm just a bit worried about the exercise bit, as he can't do any. He's got to learn how to walk properly first, now that he's got a toe missing. I don't know for sure which toe it is, but I think it's the big one.

I'll have a proper read later, my brother wants to "chat", he's having a moan about us sending our horrible weather to switzerland 😛.

Monica
Also, sorry about stating the obvious, but most meters are supplied with instruction booklets, that do include tips about finger pricking (which finger, which part of finger, how to adjust depth lancet penetrates etc), as well as using the meter itself. Meters usually come with 5 or 10 strips to get started, but after that, by prescription, so that's why he hasn't got enough strips to yes twice a day - as you say, visit to doctor will probably sort that.
If he needs to relearn walking, then yes it's probably the big one, which is the most important in walking.
Hope he can halt any further complications before they happen. Sadly, the majority of people diagnosed with type 2 diabetes do already have some signs / symptoms of complications.

I know, leaflets come with it. And you know, Men do NOT read leaflets 😉.

That's why they need women to tell them to read them....😉

And Monica's neighbour has well and truly lived up to his sex's stereotype 😉

*Fumes!* 😉

Calm down, calm down! Copepod didn't mean you, especially as you admitted in another thread that you are unsure whether you were male or female 😉 (or wasn't that you???)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back