Type 2 Diabetes blood testing strips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libralady

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Does anyone know if Tee2 blood testing strips are available on the NHS. My husband has been given them before on prescription but tried this week as was told that as he is not on insulin he does not qualify. In the meantime I am going to buy some. Thanks.

Sadly it doesn't matter if they are available on prescription in your area or not, many believe Type 2's on diet & exercise or on medication that doesn't cause hypo's don't need to test and unless he is on hypo causing medication then unfortunately they don't have to supply them on prescription so you will likely have to buy them yourself from now xx

My husband has been given them before on prescription but tried this week as was told that as he is not on insulin he does not qualify.
Insulin is one of the criteria. You can see in the NICE guidelines (scroll down to 1.6.12) that there are others.

But in general (in the UK), people with T2 aren't expected to use test strips and they aren't prescribed. So if he's not taking medications that can cause hypos he may well have an uphill struggle to get test strips prescribed (depending on the GP and other involved HCP.

Thanks everyone. He was given them some time ago but did not use them that often. As his blood sugar tests were still too high he has been told to lose weight so thought it would be a good idea to use them several times a day to get an idea of what levels he is at. I have today ordered some testing strips. The surgery said that he is not eligible but they ere going to discuss whether he might benefit. I have read that in these cases they are supplied on prescription. I don't think he is on medication that causes hypos. He takes metformin twice a day and Empagliflozin once a day.

Even if prescribed because of hypo causing drugs, if these drugs are stopped, the prescription can be stopped.

Metformin and empag aren't hypo risk drugs so unless you find sympathy with your GPs, they don't HAVE to give him them.

Its rubbish as its a huge benefit for some people who use the data to adjust their diets but one of those ones that many many people pop their pills and get on with their life and don't think about D between their HBA1C blood tests and a meter would be a waste of funds.

I think the strips for the TEE2 are one of the least expensive which is good. But establishing a good testing regime so you get useful information on which to base food choices is a good plan so you are using the strips to best effect.
Testing before meals and after 2 hours will tell you if the meal is tolerated if the increase is no more than 2-3mmol/l.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back