Type 2 Diabetes and Pesticides, What You Should Know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Development of type 2 diabetes may have a close relationship with the environment, and especially the presence of certain pesticides. According to a new study, some pesticides found in the soil, water, and air may have a role in the rise of type 2 diabetes and may be linked to weight as well.

Could pesticides be a cause of type 2 diabetes?
Use of pesticides in agriculture and landscaping is massive. Despite recent growing interest in organic farming, pesticides such as organochlorines and polychlorinated biphenyls continue to be applied to crops at excessively high levels.

However, health threats from pesticides do not always come from chemicals that are still being used. In fact, results of the new study from the University of Granada suggest the development of type 2 diabetes may be associated with pesticides that were banned (for the most part) decades ago in the United States.

http://www.emaxhealth.com/1275/type-2-diabetes-and-pesticides-what-you-should-know

Oh, so I can't blame my granddad or mother, or myself for speeding up the process with bad habits... it was all down to pesticides!!! Hmmm. Who shall I sue first?

Oh, so I can't blame my granddad or mother, or myself for speeding up the process with bad habits... it was all down to pesticides!!! Hmmm. Who shall I sue first?

Funnily enough LeeLee, my grandfather and mother also had diabetes. My grandfather (my mums dad) passed away years ago but my mum is still alive. I've partly blamed them too...suppose I didn't help myself either with my own bad habits. Though there is something to be said for organically grown produce. Being organic doesn't make it taste better, as some people mistakenly think, but certainly is not coated in pesticides. One thing I also notice is that people don't wash fruit before eating it.

I was taught from a very early age to wash fruit, specifically because of the pesticides, and never to eat the flower end of the apple because that's where most of it gathers.

For a large chunk of my childhood we lived on a small farm in Canada, growing all our own veg, milking the cow, gathering eggs, butchering our own meat. The only fertilizer was produced by the cow, and pest control involved walking through the potato patch picking off the Colorado Potato Beetles or squashing the eggs (and my baby brother used to eat the pink grubs). I REALLY can't blame the pesticides!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back