Type 2 Diabetes and Cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoque

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
I was recently diagnosed on April 23 and had surgery on my upper jaw as part of my cancer treatment. It is interesting to note that I recently discovered my HBa1c history and was perplexed to see that my high level of HbA1c on August 22, which spiked, coincided with the trace/symptoms of cancer! While there are links between the big "C" and diabetes, those links are related to stomach, bowel, and lung cancer, so I am not sure if this is the cause or the effect! Does anyone know?

2024-02-01 13_19_30-1ef55232-e20c-4a8f-96e5-d41c862f2ec2.jfif ‎- Photos.png

I would direct you to a seminar given by Prof Roy Taylor on his diabetes twin cycle hypothesis. Its easy to find on youtube. Buried in the discussion on diabetes reversal towards the end is a comparison study that shows that those who reversed diabetes 2 which significantly lowers insulin had no cancer compared to the control group which had quite a bit. Insulin is associated (kind of a dirty word in studies, but there it is) with increased levels of cancer.

I was recently diagnosed on April 23 and had surgery on my upper jaw as part of my cancer treatment. It is interesting to note that I recently discovered my HBa1c history and was perplexed to see that my high level of HbA1c on August 22, which spiked, coincided with the trace/symptoms of cancer! While there are links between the big "C" and diabetes, those links are related to stomach, bowel, and lung cancer, so I am not sure if this is the cause or the effect! Does anyone know?

View attachment 29077

Stress/inflammation can cause blood sugar to go up temporarily. Other medical conditions can also cause a temporary rise. It looks like it normalised fairly quickly!

ANYTHING at all that happens to also be wrong medically with the body affects the blood glucose, full stop. So, without diabetes we haven't a clue it happens because our healthy bodily parts and brain 'just deal with that' as part of their normal functioning. Fingerprick BG tests are done along with blood pressure, temperature and oximeter tests to every patient in every hospital bed, just the normal x times a day they routinely carry out their Observations rounds every single day you're there. Even though those doing the Obs aren't very senior medical personnel at all and don't know the next steps that need taking - they do know the range of 'what's OK' and 'what aren't' - so are supposed to tell whoever they report to, that a person's levels for any of those measurements are outside the 'OK' range and then up to that more senior person to take whatever action may be required. They do! I've had that happen with me, and also been with husband in a different hospital when it happened to him. Mine was a BG (and ketones) issue, after they'd operated on my smashed kneecap but otherwise fighting fit, charge nurse asked if I'd like to see a qualified DSN, yes please, advice heeded and pump parameters changed pdq, problem solved. Pete's was blood pressure cos his was 'too low' whereas I told them they'd obviously stressed him out since his BP numbers were both higher than 'normal' for him, since all his life he's had hypotension and even since aging it's got a bit higher, at the time 118/57 WAS high for him. Husband told them they'd have to keep him in there bed blocking until he died unless they let him go home and suggested they contacted the urology consultant who'd recently done his pancreatectomy what his usual BP had been when he saw them every time before and after the operation if they wouldn't believe us. So the Ward Sister did, and they agreed with us, it's unusually consistently low at his age - so I was allowed to bring him home.
He ain't diabetic and never has been despite his dad dying of pancreatic cancer and his mum being diagnosed Type 2 aged 70+ when she already had terminal bowel cancer. Bodies wear out.

I would direct you to a seminar given by Prof Roy Taylor on his diabetes twin cycle hypothesis. Its easy to find on youtube. Buried in the discussion on diabetes reversal towards the end is a comparison study that shows that those who reversed diabetes 2 which significantly lowers insulin had no cancer compared to the control group which had quite a bit. Insulin is associated (kind of a dirty word in studies, but there it is) with increased levels of cancer.
Insulin is required to live. If insulin production fails, DKA is likely to develop, followed by death, if untreated or unsuccessfully treated.

I think you may be alluding the elevated Insulin with insulin resistance.

Insulin is required to live. If insulin production fails, DKA is likely to develop, followed by death, if untreated or unsuccessfully treated.

I think you may be alluding the elevated Insulin with insulin resistance.
Yes, I should have said elevated insulin levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back