Type 2 changing to libre2!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pippaandben

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have just been told that approval has been given for me to have Libre 2. I am type 2 but borderline type 1 according to
c-peptide test - 0.03 below type 1 cut off! I am now gathering all the info I can so I can ask sensible questions when I get hospital appointment.
In a bit of a panic now having read Abbot detailed support info online.

At the same time I am coming off levemir and will be changing it for toujeo with a single 30 unit jab a day. Once again any tips/advice would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Great to hear that you are getting access to Libre2 @pippaandben

Lots of experienced users here, who find Libre a real help.

There is a lot of helpful information in the Libre 1 education videos by the Diabetes Technology Network

Abbott also have their Libre Academy, which I think has been updated with some Libre2 content.

Hope the switch to Toujeo goes well - were you having specific challenges that Toujeo is supposed to help with?

My key Libre tip is to understand its limitations and not to expect it to be accurate all the time
- it is calibrated to be most accurate between about 4 and 9 mmol/l. Outside of this range, I recommend checking your levels with finger pricks
- if you apply pressure to a sensor, it can report a false low. This is most likely to occur at night if you lie on your arm.
- some of us find our bodies take some time to get used to a foreign object being inserted in our arms so the first couple of days, the readings may be a bit random. I insert my sensor 48 hours before activating it to avoid this.
- sensor do not bend so don't place them on the "corner of a muscle". They will peel off if you do so.
- some sensors fail. Call Abbott and they will talk you through gathering information and will replace the sensor.

My consultant was getting concerned about the number of hypos - worst case scenarios was 3 cycles needed to get to a 6 reading and a few occasions when very late symptoms. Usually was extreme perspiration followed by what I call jelly legs but especially on waking in morning went straight to leg symptom. Often this would be after a bedtime reading in the high 20s to maximum on meter!! He was more concerned about the hypos than the hypers but he said they could be an emergency response of my body to the lows.
The toujeo is to replace levemir with a single morning dose. Levemir adjustment from 12/12 to 28/9 over a 6 month period with last one immediately after dinner seems to have cured the 2-3am hypos.
Thank you Helli for your comments - anyone else with tips/advice?

The main prob I have once a fortnight with Libre is that I am too weak to undo the screw top on the applicator! The foil seal on the sensor is hardly flimsy either. Quite seriously were my husband not here, I couldn't use them.

Having though about that, I expect you could use those jar undoer thingies arthritic folk need - anybody happen to have one of them and use Libre, to test ?

I always find putting on a pair of "Marigolds" solves the problem with tight jam jar lids etc when more grip is required. Usually I can manage the Libre applicator with a towel rather than have to go dig the Marigolds out from under the kitchen sink but you are right, those applicator lids are challenging and the foil lid is also more difficult than it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back