Type 2 and work

sandy669

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well my work is being a complete pain. I took not well in work last week. With what I assumed was a hyper. Ended up in A & E treated for a hypo finger prick test was 4.

So my problem is my work insisting that I now test in work. I have tried telling them my diebetes is what is called well control by there not having any of it.

I am still on the max metformin 2000mg at day. So I am thinking I might be on to high a dosage . I have lost 3 1/2 stone

I saw my DN on Tuesday to for a HbA1c test and once the results are in review of all my other meds.
I am also B12 deficient and I am sure I read somewhere metformin can also lower this.

I felling constantly tired and could dink a lake dry.

What the best kit to get for self testing

Sorry for the rant

Type 2 500mg metformin x 4 daily Diagnosed Dec 22
Hbac1 was 59
Now 37 June 24

Sorry to hear you were unwell, There are lots of cheap self testing kits out there, have a look on Amazon, it's the test strips that are the most expensive, so look for one that uses the most inexpensive ones. The sinocare test kit is popular.
They usually come with a pot of 10 test strips, so you will need to get more , they come in pots of 50.

I would tend to agree with you that an HbA1c of 37 may not warrant 2000gm Metformin a day. When your latest results are in have a chat with your DN about reducing the dose. Also are you taking B12 supplements? My other thought is that GP's rarely recommend testing for Type 2, so a note from the GP to that effect, shown to your employer, might be an idea.

Should get my HbA1c results on Thursday hope they have stayed the same. I get B12 injection every 12 weeks. My DN did mention a reduction in meds pending the results. Will ask for some advice with regards to my work and I am considering getting a monitor

The Sinocare is one of the cheaper ones that some members here have had problems with, so I would not recommend it. It can give false low readings if you don't get enough blood on the test strip. The 3 test kits most often recommended by members of the forum for reliability and economy of use are the Gluco Navii, the Spirit Healthcare Tee2 and the Contour Blue I think.

It is unlikely that you had a hypo if you are just on Metformin and readings between 3.5 and 4 can happen occasionally in people who are not diabetic and not considered hypo because the body can rebalance the BG levels by the liver releasing some of it's stores. The reason those of us on insulin use 4 as the cut off is in order to preserve our hypo awareness which is our safety net to help protect us from overdosing on insulin, which is where the insulin we have injected takes us down faster than our liver can potentially recover from.
There is a disorder called Reactive Hypoglycaemia where BG levels go very high after eating a carb rich meal due to a delayed insulin response and then it over compensates and releases too much insulin, so levels go high (hyper) and then come crashing back down very fast and this can cause the sensation of a hypo (false hypo) due to the very fast drop, or actually cause a real hypo if the insulin response is too strong. Generally this will happen an hour or two after a carb rich meal or snack. I imagine you will remember if you ate something potentially triggering, if you are usually pretty well managed through diet.

If your work is insisting you test when you don't think it is necessary, shouldn't they fund the meter and strips?
As someone with Type 1, I have to test and had no problem doing so at work. It is only a little inconvenient. However, if you are not entitled to test strips on prescription there is a cost.
You mention "work" want you to test. Is this your manager or HR? If the former, it may be worth taking this up with HR. I am not sure how much an employer can dictate our healthcare although I understand their duty of care (another reason why they should fund the testing).

If your work is insisting you test when you don't think it is necessary, shouldn't they fund the meter and strips?
As someone with Type 1, I have to test and had no problem doing so at work. It is only a little inconvenient. However, if you are not entitled to test strips on prescription there is a cost.
You mention "work" want you to test. Is this your manager or HR? If the former, it may be worth taking this up with HR. I am not sure how much an employer can dictate our healthcare although I understand their duty of care (another reason why they should fund the testing).
They asked if this happens again. What can we do to make you better or can I do anything. Its cause the 1st Aider in work said I should be testing. Who thinks everyone who is diabetic should test. This has never happened to be before still relatively new to me my T2 is well managed but my boss/manager is not listening. Will put some jelly babies in my locker hope that shuts them up

Sorry just a bit annoyed

They asked if this happens again. What can we do to make you better or can I do anything. Its cause the 1st Aider in work said I should be testing. Who thinks everyone who is diabetic should test. This has never happened to be before still relatively new to me my T2 is well managed but my boss/manager is not listening. Will put some jelly babies in my locker hope that shuts them up

Sorry just a bit annoyed
If you are having instances of feeling unwell then yes it is a good idea to have a test kit available so you can check and avoid trips to A & E by somebody over reacting to a situation that you can handle yourself. As a first aider then sometimes the best and only action is to call 999 to keep people safe.
The action of metformin is to reduce the release of glucose by the liver so the body is not reacting to blood glucose going low by doing that as it would normally in somebody non diabetic.
Once you get your test result then you can discuss reducing the metformin as that will also have benefit on your B12 level. Although I'm not sure if the damage to your ability to absorb from food has been done whether it can be undone.

So got my results back today still within normal range. DN spoke to me today and my metformin is being reduced to 1000mg from 2000mg. Hoping to get to remission. I had so much stress the last year I was surprised to find I was still at a healthy range.

I think Friday was my body telling me to get a grip. I have put about 5kg back on. I have still lost over 24kg approx 3.5 stone.

I am over the moon

HbA1c level 59 mmol 7.5% Jan 23

HbA1c level 42 mmol , 6%
March 23

HbA1c level 38 mmol 5.6%
August 23

HbA1c level 38 mmol 5.6%
Dec 23 HbA1c level

HbA1c level 39 mmol 5.7%
Oct 24

Well done on those great results @sandy669

Sorry you've had a bit of a frustrating time with work following your 'wobble'.

Hopefully they will be reassured that your Drs have taken action by reducing your meds, and that you are taking precautions by keeping fast-acting carbs close at hand.

There is a section about your rights and responsibilities at work, including 'reasonable adjustments' your employer should make under the Equality Act on the main DUK website

Back