Type 2 and testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfpipMarathon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have no idea how many type 2s belong to the forum particularly those not on insulin but I am interested in what the latter group do:

a) whether they finger prick to check their bs
b) if so how often
c) do they test for effects of food or just out of curiosity every now and then
d) have they ever taken a break from testing if. so how long

I have found by taking a break every now and then it helps me mentally reset. I'm aware that I'm lucky enough to have the choice to decide whether or not to test especially as the general recommendation is that type 2s not on insulin or hypo causing meds don't need to test.

I'm aware that a finger prick reading is just a snapshot of bs at that point in time.

I have tested this morning but may not test again until I get home from work or not all. I have a break when I think I am getting obsessed or down over the readings. My Dr was happy with me testing as long as majority of readings were in single digits which they have been.

I tend to test when eating something 'new' - i.e. the burger last week, Lebanese bread, etc.
I tend to do a lot more testing in the run up to a hba1c test, to get an idea.
I went 3 months without testing after diagnosis, and around six months last year without much testing - just the odd fasting test to see what was happening.
Sometimes test after the pub (Beer + crisps + walk home) as it's sometimes very low afterwards.

@HalfpipMarathon

I tested religiously at the start
Fasted bloods every morning, before eating and at 1 and 2 hours post meal. I was only eating 2 meals a day so not quite so arduous as it sounds.
It fairly quickly became evident that some foods caused bigger spikes than others so I removed them from my diet ( I find moderation incredibly hard) .
Once I was in remission I tested less frequently but always FBG and a couple of others.
I don't take my testing kit on holiday with us any more though.

Even today 8 years in I still do my FBG and usually test in the evening after dinner.

Initially I was testing before and 2 hours after each meal but quickly established what foods were best not to have or not to have in combination with other foods. So after about 3 months when my HbA1C was back to normal I really only tested if I felt a bit odd.
When I had my accident and was sitting with my leg in a brace so doing NO exercise, I did do some testing occasionally and as all was good didn't bother.
I started a bit of testing as I was getting swollen legs to rule out any issues with blood glucose again all fine.
I regard testing need to be for a purpose and result in action if not as expected.

I self fund the Libre2, and have done for years . Not discussed with nurse. I personally find even if I eat same food I don't always have the same results.

- I finger prick test - FBG upon waking and then before and after my last meal of the day (usually eat twice per day)
- My testing has become habitual and I rarely miss a test (usually its if I am out and about). I'm no longer really testing out particular foods, but just want to be alerted if BG is unusually high.
- The only time I've deliberately stopped testing has been when fasting for more than one day - only done it two or three times

When I was told by the doctor I don't need to test it was on the basis that I was not at risk of a hypo. It seemed a silly point to me because I was testing for high blood sugar not low blood sugar - being an unmedicated type 2 I clearly wasn't testing for hypos.

- I finger prick test - FBG upon waking and then before and after my last meal of the day (usually eat twice per day)
- My testing has become habitual and I rarely miss a test (usually its if I am out and about). I'm no longer really testing out particular foods, but just want to be alerted if BG is unusually high.
- The only time I've deliberately stopped testing has been when fasting for more than one day - only done it two or three times

When I was told by the doctor I don't need to test it was on the basis that I was not at risk of a hypo. It seemed a silly point to me because I was testing for high blood sugar not low blood sugar - being an unmedicated type 2 I clearly wasn't testing for hypos.
My Dr said how can you make changes if you don't know what your blood sugars are doing. She said for example if one has a bs reading of 15 one wouldn't then eat a cream cake - a simplistic example as most people would fall in between both having the cake and going on a binge as a reaction to the reading which would explain why they don't encourage type 2s not on insulin or hypo causing meds to test aside from the fact it costs financially but the long term complications of not keeping an eye on blood sugars surely costs the NHS more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back