Type 2 and struggling

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparklestar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi all - i was diagnosed with type 2 in may this year and almost straight away started on metformin, now taking 3 times a day. Am really struggling with it - my memory is terrible and i often forget to take it, also my sugars are still around 13-14 in the morning before breakfast. I have stopped all sweets from my diet (i had a really sweet tooth) apart from the very occasional treat and also anything else i can see that has a high sugar content. I dont like most fruit and veg but am trying but i cant see where i am going wrong with my diet.

Can anyone give me any hints on what else i can try?

Thank you in advance, Claire x

Hi Claire
I think perhaps at your age and working I would have found it difficult. Taking other medication in some ways helps; I have alarms set on my wristwatch and carry my strip box when I go out.
Like yourself, I'm not a great lover of fruit and veg, but I do enjoy my life so am actually starting, with the support of my dear lady, to enjoy my diet. Your liver stores sugar in another form which is often released overnight. Like most treatments metformin and similar don't act for some time.
If you are worried see your diabetes nurse or GP. They may reassess your treatment.

If you have time, keep a record of what you eat daily for a fortnight. Check your labels and daily totals of fats, sugars and carbs.

Last edited:
Foods

Hi Claire....Others may disagree, but I think its difficult to advise someone what to eat because different foods that maybe ok for me may not help in your case, for instance, some can eat pasta or rice, but they send my blood sugars soaring, so I eat Polenta which seems ok for me, another thing that plays havoc with my sugars is bread be it brown, multigrain or wholemeal, but I found some bread which is Burgens soy and linseed bread and that is fine. So I think you have to check these things for yourself as whats good for one, may not be good for another.Do'nt give up, keep trying....John

PS.....My sweet tooth is controlled with one square each night of Cadburys no added sugar chocolate.....dont tell on me....🙄

Last edited:
I was started on Metformin 15 years ago and struggled with high blood sugars for 3 years. I then decided to go the diet alone route and have never had high blood sugars since. My A1cs are in the 5% range and my average fasting plasmer glucose is < 6mmol/L. The diet I chose was low carb (if you don't put the glucose into your body - how can it raise your blood sugar!) but I cannot offer you advice but would recommend you talk to a professional that knows about this approach. Please be aware it is NOT an easy option but it does work

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back