Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen999

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi
I've been reading conflicting advice. I'm type 2 have been for 3 years Ish. I've just gone up to 4 Metformin slow release a day.
My BG has drop into low 3,s. Midday for the last 3 days and I've felt dreadful, numb mouth, breathless and shaking.
I thought I couldn't go into a hypo as a type 2.
Any advice please

Yes you can, in theory Metformin is not supposed to give hypos, but we often get people on Metformin reporting so.

Yes, it is possible but ...
- our bodies get used to a level so, if we are used to having a higher BG, it can feel like a hypo even when it is not
- our meters are not 100% accurate. They are within 15% accuracy, 95% of the time
- someone treated with insulin is considered t be hypo below 4. However, someone without insulin, a hypo is usually considered to be below 3.5.
- there are other medical reasons why someone may experience a hypo. Reactive Hypoglycaemia is sometimes mentioned and usually happens (to my understanding) when their pancreas overreact to a higher carb meal.
- people without diabetes or any other medical condition can have a hypo when exercising. My partner recorded 2.9 on my meter after a long tough cycle when he failed to fuel himself. That reading was taken after he recovered.

That is not to say your experience was not a hypo, @Karen999
It might be a good idea to discuss this with your GP or DSN, especially as it is recurring.

Thanks for that , my dbn is away till June so I'll give the new meds a chance to settle in then go talk to her about it. The last time I got the shakes I was 3.3 took me by surprise I felt like I'd been drinking. It took me about 1 hour to feel more normal after a glass of orange Juice and a bagel.

Thanks for that , my dbn is away till June so I'll give the new meds a chance to settle in then go talk to her about it. The last time I got the shakes I was 3.3 took me by surprise I felt like I'd been drinking. It took me about 1 hour to feel more normal after a glass of orange Juice and a bagel.

Hypos can feel a bit like being inebriated sometimes - wobbly, fuzzy-headed, and spaced out. Along with dizziness and drowsiness (among many other possible symptoms!)

Are these symptoms happening after meals @Karen999 ? Or is it a long time since you’ve eaten? Have you cut right back on carbs as part of your diabetes management?

Are these lows only recently happening after your meds have been increased? What were your BGs / HbA1c like before your meds were increased? Is there a chance you may not need the extra tablet?

Sorry to read that you have been experiencing these episodes. Hypos are not nice and there is a strong urge to overtreat them but can I suggest that you need to be more disciplined in how you treat them because if it is Reactive Hypoglycaemia, orange juice and a bagel could send your levels back up high and potentially cause another hypo. Those of us on insulin follow the rule of 15, which is if our levels are below 4 we have a maximum of 15g fast acting carbs (equivalent to 3 jelly babies or 4-5 glucose tablets.... chewed well), or 200mls of fruit juice or full sugar coke, wait 15 mins and retest to check that levels have come up above 4. Since you are not on insulin then there would be no need for any follow up carbs and that should do the trick. A bagel will be an additional 40+g carbs which is real overkill and will push your levels too high and your body will not get used to normal levels. It is quite hard to be disciplined about treating hypos and I find that portioning out 2 or 3 jelly babies helps me not to overtreat it, otherwise I would be tempted to eat the whole packet. Obviously being prepared is key and if they are happening from time to time then it is worth planning for them in advance, so you are ready with a small suitable remedy in your pocket or handbag. Often you will want to eat everything in sight so it can be quite hard to restrict yourself, but gradually you get used to them and that urge to stuff your face eases.... or at least it has for me.

Since you are not on insulin then there would be no need for any follow up carbs
This too is mine understanding.
I was told the follow up 15g of slower acting carbs was to “soak up spare basal”. On a pump, I do not need these carbs as I am less likely to have”spare basal”.

This too is mine understanding.
I was told the follow up 15g of slower acting carbs was to “soak up spare basal”. On a pump, I do not need these carbs as I am less likely to have”spare basal”.
I’d probably suggest it’s worth the follow up carbs if on certain glucose lowering tablets that have caused a hypo, eg gliclazide, because they make the pancreas push out glucose regardless of bg. I wouldn’t bother on just metformin or tablets that don’t cause hypos though

Hi
I've been reading conflicting advice. I'm type 2 have been for 3 years Ish. I've just gone up to 4 Metformin slow release a day.
My BG has drop into low 3,s. Midday for the last 3 days and I've felt dreadful, numb mouth, breathless and shaking.
I thought I couldn't go into a hypo as a type 2.
Any advice please
Hi Karen. I don't take any diabetes medication, but do spend decent periods in the 3s and sometimes very low 3s and high 2s.

I usually feel OK, but when very low, sometimes I'm just very hungry and ready to eat.

If food (as in a meal) is imminent, I just have that, but if not, I tend to just have a cup of tea, with milk, and that just gives my body something to be going on with, and the milk just edges my glucose up a bit.

It'll be a good idea to have things checked out for yourself, as there are other reasons, including other medications that can impact on blood sugars.

Hypos can feel a bit like being inebriated sometimes - wobbly, fuzzy-headed, and spaced out. Along with dizziness and drowsiness (among many other possible symptoms!)

Are these symptoms happening after meals @Karen999 ? Or is it a long time since you’ve eaten? Have you cut right back on carbs as part of your diabetes management?

Are these lows only recently happening after your meds have been increased? What were your BGs / HbA1c like before your meds were increased? Is there a chance you may not need the extra tablet?
Yes there happening, since I went up 1 Metformin a day, not much but, seems to have had a response. My hba1c went to 56 after having COVID . But I'm wondering if it's just alittle to much. I also realise I need to Rethink the panick I have about over eating carbs. Thankyou for your reply.

Thankyou all this is good food for thought better management required me thinks.

I see lows like this. My friend who is a GP said don't worry, it'll correct itself (It does).
The DN told me to eat something sugary.

It is too easy to over do the carbs when having a hypo.

Yes I takes some real concentration to resist the urge when your brain is screaming at you to Eat The Kitchen!!!

This is what I did and ended the day 15 we live and learn. I'm getting the hang that I have to eat between breakfast and lunch or I get a sudden drop.

It might help to discuss these sudden dips with your Nurse? I’m pretty sure frequent hypos weren’t part of the plan when your Metformin was increased, and they may want to adjust your dose again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back