Type 2 and Easyjet in 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

David-279

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Just a general information post for those needing to take insulin/needles and other meds with Easyjet

Firstly they were really good in January this year
1. Use their Request Special Assistance in the airport email and let them know you will need to take medication through the security, this is not important for security (who have their own rules, but more on that in a mo) BUT it means they will let you take a separate bag for your medications not included in the regular luggage allowance, this bag is ONLY for your medication but that means everything on your prescription, test kit, needles, drugs etc which means you now have more space in your luggage. They add a note to your booking and no one at check in or boarding will question this. But do not put anything else in the bag, I filled a waist bag with all of my stuff, take twice as much as you should need for the length of your trip.

2. You do not need a doctors letter, Easyjet say you do BUT they do not check your medication, airport security may however ask for proof that you need your medication, if you have sharps in the bag let security know when you go to the scanner, they will ask you why and you just tell them you are a diabetic in my case Type2, that was it, however Government advice is to keep a copy of your most recent prescription in the bag in case they ask for confirmation - NOTE no expensive doctors letter required.

That's it, I paid extra for an extra item of cabin baggage rather than a larger bag in the hold, this also gets you priority boarding, now three mildly interesting observations, No easyjet staff questioned the third bag, it was obviously flagged on the internal system so that's nice, not having to give explanations to staff about a bag full of medications and sharp objects. Priority boarders did not appear to have their bags checked for size (mine were within size anyway but the bag size checker was on the non priority side of the checkin desk), lastly if you have paid for that extra bag there is a small section in easyjets terms and conditions that states the large cabin bag size is max 56 x 45 x 25 cm, but that you can alternatively take a suit carrier because that can roll up into the overhead lockers, my own suit carrier is longer and wider than the allowed size (if a bit thinner) and again no issues with it.

Now my flight back had a delay so I won't give Easyjet 10 out of 10, but for a Diabetic I can only praise their helpfulness

Why is the subject "Type 2".
The key thing here seems to be carrying insulin and needles which equally applies to everyone with Type 1.

I am a frequent flyer with many different airlines including Easyjet.
It is many many years since I told any airline that I have diabetes and in the past it was only when I checked in luggage and they asked if I had any sharp items in my hand luggage. No one seems to ask any more ... probably because I speak I do on line check in and rarely have checked in luggage.

I prefer not to carry multiple bags as it makes it hard to navigate around the airport. I either have a backpack for a short trip or a wheelie for a longer one.

The doctor's letter is for airport security, not the airline. I have never been asked for a letter by the airline and, in 20 years and 100s of flights travelling with insulin and needles, I have needed my letter once. I consider it an added level of insurance. The letter is not expensive - it is free from my diabetes team and reusable.

My prescription is electronic. I can show it on my NHS app if required but I have no paperwork to carry with me. Which I consider to be a bonus.

I do NOT tell airport security about my sharps. They are all secure and too small to be of interest (they care about blades longer than 5cm). They are more interested in my insulin because it is a liquid. Therefore, needs to be kept in clear plastic bag.

As someone with diabetes, airlines are exactly the same as someone without diabetes. My health conditions are personal and not relevant to the airline. I don't tell the conductor of a train so why do I need to tell the air crew on a plane?

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I was concerned on my first flight(s) but quickly learned that no one cares apart from us. It is more important to worry about travel insurance than airlines and airport security.

Why is the subject "Type 2".
The key thing here seems to be carrying insulin and needles which equally applies to everyone with Type 1.

I am a frequent flyer with many different airlines including Easyjet.
It is many many years since I told any airline that I have diabetes and in the past it was only when I checked in luggage and they asked if I had any sharp items in my hand luggage. No one seems to ask any more ... probably because I speak I do on line check in and rarely have checked in luggage.

I prefer not to carry multiple bags as it makes it hard to navigate around the airport. I either have a backpack for a short trip or a wheelie for a longer one.

The doctor's letter is for airport security, not the airline. I have never been asked for a letter by the airline and, in 20 years and 100s of flights travelling with insulin and needles, I have needed my letter once. I consider it an added level of insurance. The letter is not expensive - it is free from my diabetes team and reusable.

My prescription is electronic. I can show it on my NHS app if required but I have no paperwork to carry with me. Which I consider to be a bonus.

I do NOT tell airport security about my sharps. They are all secure and too small to be of interest (they care about blades longer than 5cm). They are more interested in my insulin because it is a liquid. Therefore, needs to be kept in clear plastic bag.

As someone with diabetes, airlines are exactly the same as someone without diabetes. My health conditions are personal and not relevant to the airline. I don't tell the conductor of a train so why do I need to tell the air crew on a plane?

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I was concerned on my first flight(s) but quickly learned that no one cares apart from us. It is more important to worry about travel insurance than airlines and airport security.
UK advice for Security from the Governments website https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/essential-medicines-and-medical-equipment

Now you might be happy with taking as little luggage as possible, I was on a working ski trip so in addition to my ski wear I also had a set of business clothes and a laptop so getting every bit of kit possible on the plane that I could was helpful, depending on the airport medications can be screened separately so having a different bag makes that simpler and faster. At Bournemouth it was separately checked at Geneva it went through with everything else

I agree with @helli. Also having a separate “medical” bag would mean I have to carry it all myself whereas I prefer my OH to have half my supplies “just in case”. Never had any problems with either airline or security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back