Type 2 and ADHD

craigers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I have a binge eating problem. Tackling my blood sugars through diet and exercise. Have just started taking lisdexamfetamine (Elvanse) for ADHD. Can anyone share experiences of how ADHD meds have impacted their diabetes? TIA.

Last edited:
Read the leaflet inside the box as it will tell you whether the medication affects your diabetes.

Read the leaflet inside the box as it will tell you whether the medication affects your diabetes.

Thanks Lucy, but I'm not looking for the cold clinical might/might not, I am interested in hearing of peoples experiences. The leaflet can tell me it might suppress appetite but I want to know how people feel and how that manifests, ie no desire to eat or the thought of food makes them nauseas, is their appetite fine but it curbs cravings to binge. That sort of thing.

I have put the name of your medication in the search but nothing came up so I assume there has not been any threads on this so there may not be anybody taking that particular medication.

Thanks Lucy, but I'm not looking for the cold clinical might/might not, I am interested in hearing of peoples experiences. The leaflet can tell me it might suppress appetite but I want to know how people feel and how that manifests, ie no desire to eat or the thought of food makes them nauseas, is their appetite fine but it curbs cravings to binge. That sort of thing.
What other people find is probably irrelevant to you anyway since everyone reacts differently. The leaflet in the box will give you the best idea as it will tell you what the most common effects are across a larger sample of people.

I would be interested to hear from others with ADHD and type2. I have a dear friend who is struggling with both and losing the battle. So please keep us updated with your experiences with this drug and how you have coped so far.
Thank you

Two and a bit weeks in now. Meds started taking effect after a couple of hours. Amazingly I have had little to no desire to binge. I had no self control before but now i can happily forgo the chocolate and if i do have some, I'm not overdoing it.

Two and a bit weeks in now. Meds started taking effect after a couple of hours. Amazingly I have had little to no desire to binge. I had no self control before but now i can happily forgo the chocolate and if i do have some, I'm not overdoing it.
I believe these meds can change your appetite, a friend is on ADHD meds and it greatly reduces her desire to eat, she isn’t diabetic so I can’t ask re that side of things but know she has to force herself to eat.

Back