Type 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyeboy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My son was diagnosed type1 some 4 years ago at the age of 35.
He seems to cope very well but works very long hours having a physical role in our business.
I guess you never stop worrying about your kids.
I’ve joined the forum hoping to get guidance, hope and info moving forward

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome @Flyeboy
I understand parents will always worry about their kids - if it wasn’t diabetes, it would something else.
I was diagnosed at a similar age to your son and, like him, work long hours. I enjoy my job and wouldn’t want diabetes to stop me doing what I enjoy.
Thankfully, diabetes treatment had moved on in leaps and bounds recently allowing us to manage Type 1 rather than it controlling us.
Provided your son keeps an eye on his blood sugar levels and understands how to dose his insulin, diabetes Is not a reason to stop.
There are some impressive Type 1 role models. Look at Henry Slade, the England Rugby player. I think it must be tough to be more physically active than a professional athlete. Or (not wanting to get into politics), prime minister of the UK must have some of the longest hours in any job but Theresa May did it and has Type 1 diabetes.

It is understandable to worry but I know I am not alone in stubbornly not wanting diabetes to control my life.
Nearly 20 years since my diagnosis, I work hard, play hard, manage my diabetes and have no complications.

I was diagnosed T1 43 years ago and have never let the diabetes get in the way of life. From workign in the entertainment industry with very long unsociable hours and irregular meal times. I now throw people out of nightclubs too.

Understanding how the diabetes affects you is the key to good self management. I am sure your son has got a grip on it although after all this time I am still learning things and it tstill shows me a curve ball occasionally.

Good luck

Thanks Piglet - my son is a positive guy but it’s reassuring to hear from other T1 diabetics who have a positive outlook themselves.

I was diagnosed T1 43 years ago and have never let the diabetes get in the way of life.
I was diagnosed when I was 15, about 41 years ago, and it didn't really occur to me to let it stop me from doing things. That is, beyond some obvious logistical things: I needed to make sure I always had access to emergency food in case of hypos, and needed insulin (at the time a couple of times a day, but more frequently nowadays).

But it was never a consideration when it was time to think about university, or when I went to work (at a university, admittedly). And it was only briefly a consideration when I was being offered a job in Utrecht (I brought it up and they said it would not be a problem since the university there had good medical insurance, though I did pay a small extra premium).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back