Type 1 - Why such a difference between these BGs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Screenshot_20220102-130914_mySugr.jpg
The 10.8 was unexpected so I washed my hands then got the 2 BGs in the 5s

Hi @mum2westiesGill! That is indeed very strange! Is it possible that you had handled something sugary before testing your blood sugars?

Think I may have managed this before when handling a donut or something like that!

Hi @mum2westiesGill! That is indeed very strange! Is it possible that you had handled something sugary before testing your blood sugars?

Think I may have managed this before when handling a donut or something like that!
Yes it's very possible. I don't think I washed my hands since I'd had my breakfast.

That mostly likely is what it would be then as something on your hands— especially something sugary would cause the blood sugar to appear higher than it actually was

Yes it was obviously a rogue reading.
I had 25.8 the other day, knew it couldn’t be right so washed hands and re tested which came back as a normal reading that I was expecting.

It’s important to always wash your hands before you test, as you’ve shown you didn’t realise you had something on your finger.

View attachment 19642
The 10.8 was unexpected so I washed my hands then got the 2 BGs in the 5s
there was once where a tested when the libre said 10.6 and a finger pick said 2.8 and i thout surry it cant be that where out so retested with a sceond finger pick and it said 9.4

It’s important to always wash your hands before you test, as you’ve shown you didn’t realise you had something on your finger.
I 'mostly' do wash my hands. I wonder how many people don't

there was once where a tested when the libre said 10.6 and a finger pick said 2.8 and i thout surry it cant be that where out so retested with a sceond finger pick and it said 9.4
Which test did you go with?

I 'mostly' do wash my hands. I wonder how many people don't
Sometimes you just forget or that like if your stuck in the back of a car going on holiday or something and there isn’t a way to wash you hands you just hope that the test is going to be what your number actually is

I almost never wash my hands before testing but I always wipe away the first drop of blood and test the second. I also rarely touch anything sweet because I eat low carb although I did once get a rogue reading after chopping onions presumably due to the onion juice.

I almost never wash my hands before testing but I always wipe away the first drop of blood and test the second.
I've heard about doing that somewhere before. What's the reason for doing that?

I do the wipe away first drop when I can’t wash my hands. I think of it as a mini spot clean. I almost always have a bottle of water with me that I can wash hands with though, or a loo nearby

I think the theory is it's a bit like washing: the first drop carries all the non-blood things, and the second drop will just be blood.
Thank you for explaining it simply.

I've also had a rogue reading today and traced it back to the alcohol hand gel I'd used about 10mins earlier. I think the 'second drop method' is the way to go! 🙂

Sometimes you just forget or that like if your stuck in the back of a car going on holiday or something and there isn’t a way to wash you hands you just hope that the test is going to be what your number actually is
i used hand sinaster is those situions is that wrong?

i had also got a flase reading f 3,3 before i think due to the test strip already being open i rechecked becauseci thought i feel fine.

I’ve had rogue readings from getting hair products on my hands, so it isn’t just sugary things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back