Type 1 perspective on Apple Watch

MollyBolt

Pronouns
She/Her
A while back I was trying to work out whether an Apple Watch would improve my BG freestyle Libre monitoring experience. I couldn’t actually find much information on what you can get an Apple Watch to show. Having now had one for a few days I thought it might be helpful to post about my experience.

Descriptions of how to set up the Libre on a watch were (for me) a bit confusing. And it wasn’t entirely straightforward (there was definitely a moment where I swore and said “but why is everything so difficult as a diabetic”). But in reality it was done within five mins and I shouldn’t have been afraid. To make it set up I downloaded the Libre Link app and the Gluroo app to my phone and the Libre Watch app to my phone. I’m not entirely sure whether I needed both the Libre Link and the Gluroo, but I did both anyway and it works and I personally am chill without knowing whether they were both essential!

(On a different but related note the Gluroo app is quite good for showing up on the Home Screen of my phone and meanwhile my wife - sort of - likes being able to check my BG on her phone via Libre Link if she wakes in the night and wonders if I’m in a coma (remember we are both new to this and I don’t feel hypos).)

The actual watch experience feels great. I do a lot of meetings where I don’t want to be sneaking a look at my phone (in what is quite a disruptive fashion). And as someone who hates disturbing people, being able to take a quick look at my watch in the cinema has felt a gamechanger. I’ve set up my watch so that when I look at my wrist I can see my BG in the bottom left hand corner. It doesn’t say whether it’s going up or down but does say the time when the BG was logged (noting that CGMs disconnect from time to time this is v useful). If I want more information (as in is my BG going up or down) I tap on it and it takes me to a screen which has got my numbers in big letters with an arrow. And then if I want to see what my graph is looking like I can twiddle the crown at the side and it’ll show me. Pictures of all below.

I am sure many / most of you who are interested in this already know it, but as I say I found it hard to get a sense of how valuable it would be so I thought I’d post the information I would have wanted. The headline being that I wouldn’t be without it now.

PS had just done a yoga class which always sends me shooting down (as you can see) and was just waiting for the CGM to notice the orange juice and toast whilst I posted.

Attachments

• IMG_2179.jpeg
    IMG_2179.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2180.jpeg
    IMG_2180.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2181.jpeg
    IMG_2181.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Glad it’s working so well for you @MollyBolt

A while back I was trying to work out whether an Apple Watch would improve my BG freestyle Libre monitoring experience. I couldn’t actually find much information on what you can get an Apple Watch to show. Having now had one for a few days I thought it might be helpful to post about my experience.

Descriptions of how to set up the Libre on a watch were (for me) a bit confusing. And it wasn’t entirely straightforward (there was definitely a moment where I swore and said “but why is everything so difficult as a diabetic”). But in reality it was done within five mins and I shouldn’t have been afraid. To make it set up I downloaded the Libre Link app and the Gluroo app to my phone and the Libre Watch app to my phone. I’m not entirely sure whether I needed both the Libre Link and the Gluroo, but I did both anyway and it works and I personally am chill without knowing whether they were both essential!

(On a different but related note the Gluroo app is quite good for showing up on the Home Screen of my phone and meanwhile my wife - sort of - likes being able to check my BG on her phone via Libre Link if she wakes in the night and wonders if I’m in a coma (remember we are both new to this and I don’t feel hypos).)

The actual watch experience feels great. I do a lot of meetings where I don’t want to be sneaking a look at my phone (in what is quite a disruptive fashion). And as someone who hates disturbing people, being able to take a quick look at my watch in the cinema has felt a gamechanger. I’ve set up my watch so that when I look at my wrist I can see my BG in the bottom left hand corner. It doesn’t say whether it’s going up or down but does say the time when the BG was logged (noting that CGMs disconnect from time to time this is v useful). If I want more information (as in is my BG going up or down) I tap on it and it takes me to a screen which has got my numbers in big letters with an arrow. And then if I want to see what my graph is looking like I can twiddle the crown at the side and it’ll show me. Pictures of all below.

I am sure many / most of you who are interested in this already know it, but as I say I found it hard to get a sense of how valuable it would be so I thought I’d post the information I would have wanted. The headline being that I wouldn’t be without it now.

PS had just done a yoga class which always sends me shooting down (as you can see) and was just waiting for the CGM to notice the orange juice and toast whilst I posted.
Hello, I got a similar arrangement on an old galaxy watch & have similar professional reasons for not pulling the phone out all the time. They are great at keeping on top of engagement with the control. The thing that makes me laugh with my watch is the health motivational that pops up. Wake up after a night out with a bit of a hangover, “great. Is today the day you will exceed your goals.” I went on holiday, “hello traveler. Are you planning on upping your activity?” (To paraphase.) I even get a pat on the back for jumping about on a dance floor?

My wife’s watch gets a lot of steps in whilst she’s passenger in my car. I’ve no idea what it suggests about my driving? ;p
You don't make her pedal do you?
Perhaps she keeps stamping on an imaginary brake?

I’ve linked my watch via the Libre Link app to Sweet Dreams app. This also shows your BG on the watch face but also give you an arrow indicator which I find really helpful.

I didn’t even know there was a Libre watch app so all good information thanks. Is it in apple App Store?

I don’t pay for premium, so don’t get the full app benefits, but I can see it as a complication on the main watch screen

Back