Type 1 mdi help for this stupid idiot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm trying to stay calm.
The story goes like this.....
19:48 BG 7.5 before tea and after treating a low of 5.1 with dextrose. 91g carbs.
23:48 4 hours after my tea then most of my humalog will be out of my system.

22:03 something made me do a BG finger prick and.....lo and behold my BG is a whopping 21.8!! Reason - I looked in my pen case - I always put 3 needles in there for breakfast, lunch and tea and yes you've guessed it by now - one of the needles hasn't been used.

Helpppp please! What do I do now?

Just checked blood ketones and they're 0.1

Last edited:
I’m not sure why you had dextrose for a 5.1 if you were about to eat 91g carbs in tea but never mind that for now. I’d just do a correction for the high.

I’m not sure why you had dextrose for a 5.1 if you were about to eat 91g carbs in tea but never mind that for now. I’d just do a correction for the high.
I've done a correction 5.5u which my bolus advisor worked out for me. I know now not to do another correction for 4 hours and I don't think my bolus advisor will allow it anyway.

I'm trying to stay calm.
The story goes like this.....
19:48 BG 7.5 before tea and after treating a low of 5.1 with dextrose. 91g carbs.
23:48 4 hours after my tea then most of my humalog will be out of my system.

22:03 something made me do a BG finger prick and.....lo and behold my BG is a whopping 21.8!! Reason - I looked in my pen case - I always put 3 needles in there for breakfast, lunch and tea and yes you've guessed it by now - one of the needles hasn't been used.

Helpppp please! What do I do now?

Just checked blood ketones and they're 0.1
0.1 is not a high level , you can do a correction and then if you’re still worried set an alarm to retest every 2 hours?

Thank you for your replies.
The scores on the doors for waking this morning at 7:55 BG 7.8 🙂

Ketones anywhere under 0.6 are perfectly normal so you don’t need to worry about that.
You aren’t the first person to forget an injection and you certainly won’t be the last! Just try not to make a habit of it lol

Gill is trying to keep her BG between 6-10 all the time at the moment in order to recover her hypo awareness, apparently in that situation it is the correct technique to eat Dextrose if you are anywhere below target even when it is an otherwise perfectly normal reading. I only learned this the other day too

Gill is trying to keep her BG between 6-10 all the time at the moment in order to recover her hypo awareness, apparently in that situation it is the correct technique to eat Dextrose if you are anywhere below target even when it is an otherwise perfectly normal reading. I only learned this the other day too
Thank you @sallyfor explaining 🙂

Ketones anywhere under 0.6 are perfectly normal so you don’t need to worry about that.
Are ketones 0.0 good?

You aren’t the first person to forget an injection and you certainly won’t be the last! Just try not to make a habit of it lol
I think the thing that got me was that it was the teatime injection so it meant doing fast acting insulin at bedtime!!

Yes I understand that and if it was between meals that’s what you should do. But if you’re about to eat 91g of carbs in tea there seems little point delaying that to eat dextrose first

Yes I understand that and if it was between meals that’s what you should do. But if you’re about to eat 91g of carbs in tea there seems little point delaying that to eat dextrose first
Probably true but I think the idea is to get BG back up as fast as possible with fast acting carbs and Gill prefers to do things by the book, she finds that easier. Don’t want to confuse her!

Probably true but I think the idea is to get BG back up as fast as possible with fast acting carbs and Gill prefers to do things by the book, she finds that easier. Don’t want to confuse her!
It would be better to help people learn to be adaptable so they aren’t sitting needlessly waiting for their tea to go cold.

It would be better to help people learn to be adaptable so they aren’t sitting needlessly waiting for their tea to go cold.
But then it's also better for a person to deal with their own situation the way they feel comfortable doing so and if this is it then so be it, we all do things differently and in the way we feel comfortable so why try and change someone if it's not what they want? Gill has her ways that she's been at many years so I'm pretty sure by now that's the way she feels comfortable doing it and that changing things now could cause quite a bit of anxiety

Yes, and we've offered suggestions like that before but Gill is clearly more comfortable doing it her way and we should respect that. You can offer someone advice but you can’t force them to take it, just because a particular way works well for you it doesn't mean that it will automatically suit everyone else too.

It’s quite insulting of you both to suggest Gill can’t change the way she does things! She clearly can make beneficial changes since she’s running bgs higher to get back hypo awareness, and she corrected the high bg before bed which she wouldn’t normally be comfortable with, but achieved a great bg this morning. You should have more confidence in peoples ability to make changes.

Anyone who doesn’t like what I say is free to ignore me, I’m only trying to help like everyone else

Last edited:
@Lucyr I'm pretty sure Gill isn't offended in the slightest seen as she liked my comment herself, she has mentioned numerous times this is the way she is doing things just now so why can't you just be accepting of that? It isn't the first time you've said this and it's not the first time it hasn't been responded to by the OP so doesn't that tell you something? I have confidence in Gill as well she knows it

Someone not responding doesn’t tell me anything no, they’d need to respond if they wanted to tell me something. I’m not a mind reader!

Anyone who doesn’t like what I say is free to ignore me, I’m only trying to help like everyone else
I always like your help and what you say so I'm sorry but I won't be unfollowing or ignoring you 😛

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back